Old 19-07-2008, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Copper spray

I've just sprayed my peach trees with Burgundy mix (a variant on Bordeaux)
and was wondering how long copper sprays have to be on the plant to be
effective? We got a light shower within 24 hours of application and I can
still see a light blue tinge around the bud edges.

Old 19-07-2008, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/19/2008 3:25 AM, FarmI wrote:
I've just sprayed my peach trees with Burgundy mix (a variant on Bordeaux)
and was wondering how long copper sprays have to be on the plant to be
effective? We got a light shower within 24 hours of application and I can
still see a light blue tinge around the bud edges.

I've always sprayed again if there is rain within 48 hours. However,
there is a difference between RAIN and light showers.

Actually, I always spray at least twice. First, I spray right after
pruning (January). Then, I spray again just as the flower buds swell
and show some red (not yet open, March).

Are you in the southern hemisphere? It's quite late to be spraying
peaches in the northern hemisphere. Aha! You're in Australia. There,
I would spray in July (now) and again in September.

I've seen no sign of leaf curl this year. My peaches are ripe right
now; they're quite good. Although I thinned them severely, I still have
more than I can give away.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 21-07-2008, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 7/19/2008 3:25 AM, FarmI wrote:
I've just sprayed my peach trees with Burgundy mix (a variant on
Bordeaux) and was wondering how long copper sprays have to be on the
plant to be
effective? We got a light shower within 24 hours of application and I
can
still see a light blue tinge around the bud edges.

I've always sprayed again if there is rain within 48 hours. However,
there is a difference between RAIN and light showers.

:-)) Rain is something I dream about after about 7 years of drought. It
was indeed a light shower.

Actually, I always spray at least twice. First, I spray right after
pruning (January). Then, I spray again just as the flower buds swell
and show some red (not yet open, March).

Are you in the southern hemisphere? It's quite late to be spraying
peaches in the northern hemisphere. Aha! You're in Australia. There,
I would spray in July (now) and again in September.

Thanks for that advice although by the way the buds are swelling, I'm not
too sure they'll make it to Sept before bursting.

I've seen no sign of leaf curl this year.

Do you fertilise heavily on the premise that it forces peaches though the
leaf curl? I've read that repeatedly but dont' know if to believe it or
not. I find a lot of stuff in books isn't necessarily so in practice eg see
the thread on animal manure.

My peaches are ripe right
now; they're quite good. Although I thinned them severely, I still have
more than I can give away.

Dang! Do you have to get my taste buds slobbering? It's midwinter and cold
cold cold. The least you could have done was attach a ripe peach to your
post................

Old 21-07-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/21/2008 2:33 AM, FarmI wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 7/19/2008 3:25 AM, FarmI wrote:
I've just sprayed my peach trees with Burgundy mix (a variant on
Bordeaux) and was wondering how long copper sprays have to be on the
plant to be
effective? We got a light shower within 24 hours of application and I
can
still see a light blue tinge around the bud edges.

I've always sprayed again if there is rain within 48 hours. However,
there is a difference between RAIN and light showers.

:-)) Rain is something I dream about after about 7 years of drought. It
was indeed a light shower.

We're in our second year of drought. One state reservoir is at 75% of
capacity; the others are at 67% or lower. None are above their average
actual capacity.

It's been 52 days since our last measurable rain, and we normally won't
see rain again until late October or sometime in November. We had a
total of 12.35 inches (31.4 cm) since last September. Last year, by
this time, we had 4.57 inches (11.6 cm).

Actually, I always spray at least twice. First, I spray right after
pruning (January). Then, I spray again just as the flower buds swell
and show some red (not yet open, March).

Are you in the southern hemisphere? It's quite late to be spraying
peaches in the northern hemisphere. Aha! You're in Australia. There,
I would spray in July (now) and again in September.

Thanks for that advice although by the way the buds are swelling, I'm not
too sure they'll make it to Sept before bursting.

I've seen no sign of leaf curl this year.

Do you fertilise heavily on the premise that it forces peaches though the
leaf curl? I've read that repeatedly but dont' know if to believe it or
not. I find a lot of stuff in books isn't necessarily so in practice eg see
the thread on animal manure.

I broadcast some commercial, off-brand lawn fertilizer around the tree
in the early spring. It's not only for the tree but also the primroses
and grape hyacinths growing under it and the asparagus growing behind
it. Overfeeding promotes leaf growth in place of fruit.

My peaches are ripe right
now; they're quite good. Although I thinned them severely, I still have
more than I can give away.

Dang! Do you have to get my taste buds slobbering? It's midwinter and cold
cold cold. The least you could have done was attach a ripe peach to your
post................

I picked the last of the crop last night. The bees and wasps got quite
a few. The problem is that the season is quite short; they all ripen at
the same time.

Once they are picked, they are quite perishable. If not eaten quickly,
they rot. That's because they are tree-ripened (not like the junk sold
in the markets).

My wife did make a delicious peach crisp (more like a cobbler). And I
gave away more than a dozen. I trade my peaches for my neighbors'
tomatoes and figs.

If I can figure out how, I'll upload one of my last peaches via FTP to
my Web server. You can then download it from there.

Old 21-07-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Look at this.

http://www.droughtscore.com/

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 22-07-2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

That sounds good to me, but then after so long many of this country's dams
are in the low double digits after so long. Mind you that doesn't impact on
us as we harvest our own rain water and have a couple of good dams that so
far (touch wood) provide enough for our needs. Come mid summer though the
conditions can get very bad. Last year I had to cover plants in the middle
of the day with old curtains to stop them from dessicating.

It's been 52 days since our last measurable rain, and we normally won't
see rain again until late October or sometime in November. We had a
total of 12.35 inches (31.4 cm) since last September. Last year, by
this time, we had 4.57 inches (11.6 cm).

That is very low rainfall. My husband say's that the Napa valley reminded
him very much of Australia. Depending on how close that is to you, you
might have similar growing conditions to mine.

I assume from your mention of reservoirs that you are on a municipal water
supply?????

I've seen no sign of leaf curl this year.

Do you fertilise heavily on the premise that it forces peaches though the
leaf curl? I've read that repeatedly but dont' know if to believe it or
not. I find a lot of stuff in books isn't necessarily so in practice eg
see
the thread on animal manure.

I broadcast some commercial, off-brand lawn fertilizer around the tree
in the early spring. It's not only for the tree but also the primroses
and grape hyacinths growing under it and the asparagus growing behind
it. Overfeeding promotes leaf growth in place of fruit.

So do you get leaf curl? And if you don't, do you put that down to the
early spring feed or your spay program, or could be either or both?

[...]

Do you can them at all?

If I can figure out how, I'll upload one of my last peaches via FTP to
my Web server. You can then download it from there.

Yumbo. Thanks. I'm waiting with mouth open.........

Old 23-07-2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/22/2008 4:55 AM, FarmI wrote [in part]:
"David E. Ross" wrote [also in part]:

It's been 52 days since our last measurable rain, and we normally won't
see rain again until late October or sometime in November. We had a
total of 12.35 inches (31.4 cm) since last September. Last year, by
this time, we had 4.57 inches (11.6 cm).

That is very low rainfall. My husband say's that the Napa valley reminded
him very much of Australia. Depending on how close that is to you, you
might have similar growing conditions to mine.

The Napa Valley is about 500 miles north of me. We get hotter summers
with less humidity.

I assume from your mention of reservoirs that you are on a municipal water
supply?????

Yes. Wells in my area produce undrinkable water. Ground water is so
highly mineralized that it really is not good even for irrigation unless
it's mixed with imported water from the California Water Project (the
state reservoirs).

So do you get leaf curl? And if you don't, do you put that down to the
early spring feed or your spay program, or could be either or both?

Some years, I do get some leaf curl. It's never enough to defoliate the
tree. I attribute the low incidence (the lack this year) to spraying.

I picked the last of the crop last night. The bees and wasps got quite
a few. The problem is that the season is quite short; they all ripen at
the same time.

Once they are picked, they are quite perishable. If not eaten quickly,
they rot. That's because they are tree-ripened (not like the junk sold
in the markets).

My wife did make a delicious peach crisp (more like a cobbler). And I
gave away more than a dozen. I trade my peaches for my neighbors'
tomatoes and figs.

Do you can them at all?

I used to preserve my peaches in brandy. Take a large, old fashioned
canning jar (the type with a glass lid, rubber ring, and wire bail).
Blanch the peaches in boiling water just long enough to remove the skin.
Quarter or halve the skinned peaches and remove the pits. Pack the
peach pieces in the canning jar. Add about a tablespoon of cloves,
intermixed with the peaches. Pour about 1/2 cup of sugar on top of the
peaches. Fill the jar with cheap, off-brand brandy. Seal the jar.

Let the peaches soak in the brandy for about six months, inverting the
jar about every two weeks. Enjoy!!

No sterilizing the jars. No hot water bath. No cooking. No
refrigeration.

Note: The peaches at the very top and bottom may discolor. This is
because, as the jar is inverted, they are exposed to the small amount of
air in the jar. This discoloration does not affect the edibility or
taste of the peaches.

I know someone who did the same with plums and vodka and with apricots
and rum, omitting the cloves in both cases.

Old 23-07-2008, 07:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 7/22/2008 4:55 AM, FarmI wrote [in part]:

Do you can them at all?

I used to preserve my peaches in brandy. Take a large, old fashioned
canning jar (the type with a glass lid, rubber ring, and wire bail).
Blanch the peaches in boiling water just long enough to remove the skin.
Quarter or halve the skinned peaches and remove the pits. Pack the
peach pieces in the canning jar. Add about a tablespoon of cloves,
intermixed with the peaches. Pour about 1/2 cup of sugar on top of the
peaches. Fill the jar with cheap, off-brand brandy. Seal the jar.

Let the peaches soak in the brandy for about six months, inverting the
jar about every two weeks. Enjoy!!

Sounds good. Will copy the recipe and set it aside for later in the summer.
I make a mixed canned fruit brandy mix which is very handy to keep in the
fridge for those times when a dessert is needed right here and right now or
else murder will occur.

[IMG] code is On

LIme sulfur or copper or sulfur spray Sandra Bodycoat Australia 8 08-07-2010 02:04 PM
Copper spray FarmI United Kingdom 1 21-07-2008 01:58 PM
[IBC] Annealed Copper Wire Alan Zucker Bonsai 24 11-02-2004 01:31 AM
dormant spray questions? sulfur vs. copper etc r1 Gardening 3 16-12-2003 05:04 PM
Copper sulfate for tree roots in sewer line Keith Carlson Lawns 0 10-11-2002 10:50 PM