Old 19-07-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jo Pesta Jo Pesta is offline

Default Weeping Pussy Willow Tree

Hello,

I live in a zone 8 (SC) still have pretty decent soil. I bought a
small weeping pussy willow tree this year. It's doing well.....so
well I have a question.

The main trunk of the tree was around 20 inches tall, probably an inch
inch 1/2 in diameter.
I understand this is a miniature tree, and growth is slow (even for
where I live). The tree originally had oh I'd say 6 branches that had
been trained to weep.

I have babied this tree, water and fertilized. It's very healthy.
However it's got so many shoots coming out of it, it almost looks like
a bush (I did check and the trunk is still there and in good shape).
My question is am I supposed to cut all these shoots off or let them
grow on out and weep too? I have been cutting on the tree as the
branches hit the ground and spread out.

I just know nothing about this tree, other than it won't get more than
4-5 feet high. I can not find any really useful info on the net about
this tree, other grafting, which I don't need to do.

I just want the tree to remain a tree and am at a loss on how to
maintain it.

Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks and have a growful type of day

Jo