Old 19-07-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Weeping Pussy Willow Tree

Hello,

I live in a zone 8 (SC) still have pretty decent soil. I bought a
small weeping pussy willow tree this year. It's doing well.....so
well I have a question.

The main trunk of the tree was around 20 inches tall, probably an inch
inch 1/2 in diameter.
I understand this is a miniature tree, and growth is slow (even for
where I live). The tree originally had oh I'd say 6 branches that had
been trained to weep.

I have babied this tree, water and fertilized. It's very healthy.
However it's got so many shoots coming out of it, it almost looks like
a bush (I did check and the trunk is still there and in good shape).
My question is am I supposed to cut all these shoots off or let them
grow on out and weep too? I have been cutting on the tree as the
branches hit the ground and spread out.

I just know nothing about this tree, other than it won't get more than
4-5 feet high. I can not find any really useful info on the net about
this tree, other grafting, which I don't need to do.

I just want the tree to remain a tree and am at a loss on how to
maintain it.

Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks and have a growful type of day

Jo
Old 20-07-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jo Pesta wrote in

ps.com:

I have babied this tree, water and fertilized. It's very
healthy. However it's got so many shoots coming out of it,
it almost looks like a bush (I did check and the trunk is
still there and in good shape). My question is am I
supposed to cut all these shoots off or let them grow on
out and weep too? I have been cutting on the tree as the
branches hit the ground and spread out.

where are the sprouts coming from? the ground/base of the
trunk? along the trunk? at the top?
where is your tree grafted? base of the trunk or at the top
or maybe both?
i'd cut all sprouts at the base anyway, as they're most
likely from the rootstock & not what you want. i'm guessing
you want it to look like a weeping tree & not a mess, so cut
any sprouts off the trunk as well. just trim off the top
section enough to give it a nice form.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 20-07-2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jo Pesta" wrote in message
I just want the tree to remain a tree and am at a loss on how to
maintain it.

I think you will benefit by this information in addition to what people
address about your situation. MODERN ARBORICULTURE, the book, would be a
great guide to care for your tree.

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 20-07-2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 19, 6:42�pm, Jo Pesta wrote:
[...]

There seems to be lots of info on the net.

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/tree...ng_trees_2.htm
Old 20-07-2008, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 19, 10:21*pm, enigma wrote:
where are the sprouts coming from? the ground/base of the

trunk? along the trunk? at the top?

At the TOP.
*where is your tree grafted? base of the trunk or at the top
or maybe both?

I Am not sure what you mean by grafted, what do I look at to see if a
tree is grafted?

*i'd cut all sprouts at the base anyway, as they're most
likely from the rootstock & not what you want. i'm guessing
you want it to look like a weeping tree & not a mess, so cut
any sprouts off the trunk as well. just trim off the top
section enough to give it a nice form.

I checked the trunk no sprouts, I do know enough about that to keep
the truck clear, it's just sprouting from the top, tons of small
branches. I am clipping some of those, to as you stated, keep the
form, and as the branches hit the ground because they are longer than
the trunk, I am clipping those so they no longer hit the ground.

Thanks
lee

Old 20-07-2008, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Plantinghttp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/tree_planting.html

Improper Mulching -http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruninghttp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problemshttp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizospherehttp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologistwww.treedictionary.com

Thank you for this info.
Jo
Old 20-07-2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jo Pesta wrote in

oups.com:

On Jul 19, 10:21*pm, enigma wrote:
*where is your tree grafted? base of the trunk or at the
top or maybe both?

I Am not sure what you mean by grafted, what do I look at
to see if a tree is grafted?

tree form is not the natural form of a pussy willow. they're
normally a shrub (many branches starting at groud level). in
order to make it a tall, tree-like form with a weeping habit,
the pussy willow is grafted onto another, related trunk and/or
rootstock. the grafted area, if done well, is a small lump (if
done poorly it can be a pretty large lump, sometimes with a
healed wound where the original plant was. try not to buy
anything like that), either at the base just above ground
level (rootstock graft), or just below the weeping part (top
graft). it's possible to have both types on one shrub, as they
may use a dwarfing rootstock, a trunk, & a weeping top.
you would want to trim anything from the rootstock & trunk
stock in that case.

*i'd cut all sprouts at the base anyway, as they're most
likely from the rootstock & not what you want. i'm
guessing you want it to look like a weeping tree & not a
mess, so cut any sprouts off the trunk as well. just trim
off the top section enough to give it a nice form.

I checked the trunk no sprouts, I do know enough about that
to keep the truck clear, it's just sprouting from the top,
tons of small branches. I am clipping some of those, to as
you stated, keep the form, and as the branches hit the
ground because they are longer than the trunk, I am
clipping those so they no longer hit the ground.

that sounds like you're doing just fine then. don't forget to
stop any fertilizing in August. you don't want new soft growth
going into winter.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.

[IMG] code is On

pruning weeping pussy willow tree kay beckett Gardening 3 16-09-2012 07:27 PM
Pussy willow help/advice please Cheryl Isaak Gardening 2 30-03-2009 02:31 PM
weeping pussy willow Yngver Gardening 12 27-02-2004 08:46 PM
Pussy Willow starlia Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM