Old 20-07-2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Weeping Pussy Willow Tree

Jo Pesta wrote in

oups.com:

On Jul 19, 10:21*pm, enigma wrote:
*where is your tree grafted? base of the trunk or at the
top or maybe both?

I Am not sure what you mean by grafted, what do I look at
to see if a tree is grafted?

tree form is not the natural form of a pussy willow. they're
normally a shrub (many branches starting at groud level). in
order to make it a tall, tree-like form with a weeping habit,
the pussy willow is grafted onto another, related trunk and/or
rootstock. the grafted area, if done well, is a small lump (if
done poorly it can be a pretty large lump, sometimes with a
healed wound where the original plant was. try not to buy
anything like that), either at the base just above ground
level (rootstock graft), or just below the weeping part (top
graft). it's possible to have both types on one shrub, as they
may use a dwarfing rootstock, a trunk, & a weeping top.
you would want to trim anything from the rootstock & trunk
stock in that case.

*i'd cut all sprouts at the base anyway, as they're most
likely from the rootstock & not what you want. i'm
guessing you want it to look like a weeping tree & not a
mess, so cut any sprouts off the trunk as well. just trim
off the top section enough to give it a nice form.

I checked the trunk no sprouts, I do know enough about that
to keep the truck clear, it's just sprouting from the top,
tons of small branches. I am clipping some of those, to as
you stated, keep the form, and as the branches hit the
ground because they are longer than the trunk, I am
clipping those so they no longer hit the ground.

that sounds like you're doing just fine then. don't forget to
stop any fertilizing in August. you don't want new soft growth
going into winter.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair