Old 20-07-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Potato Problem

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| Has anyone actually watered their garden this year apart from pots and
| containers? I found that brassica seedling sown outside have rotted off,
| so had to sow in pots indoors to get them going. Today the weather was
| forecast winds decreasing and dry, will someone please tell the weather
| regulator? It is windy with frequent showers here in North Staffordshire.

Only when establishing plants, but it would have helped if I had
watered my potatoes and brassicas - potato cyst eelworm[*], and
flea beetle :-(

On the former, I have had mine VERY badly hit this year, and am
going to have to give up even earlies for some years. I don't
know how it started, but it is very hard to do a 6-year rotation
in a small plot. However, this is the first year I have had more
than the odd plant badly affected. I suspect that it can maintain
itself in black nightshade and other members of the Solanaceae,
though a Web search failed to confirm that for the UK.
[*] BOTH species :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.