Old 17-07-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato Problem

Can anybody tell me why my friend's potatoes are so distorted please? They
have what is almost a warped swastika shape deeply embedded in the tuber.
They are rocket potatoes and ones at another end of the allotment are ok.
There are miniscule white grubs in the ones she found today. I can only find
watering or cold problems in the RHS book.
http://flickr.com/photos/beachcomber...7606222660648/

Old 19-07-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Can anybody tell me why my friend's potatoes are so distorted please? They
have what is almost a warped swastika shape deeply embedded in the tuber.
They are rocket potatoes and ones at another end of the allotment are ok.
There are miniscule white grubs in the ones she found today. I can only
find watering or cold problems in the RHS book.
http://flickr.com/photos/beachcomber...7606222660648/

I would call that a watering issue, specifically heavy rain after a dry
period, causing them to swell and burst the skins, as happens with a lot of
crops. The white grubs are a separate issue.

Steve

Old 19-07-2008, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Can anybody tell me why my friend's potatoes are so distorted please?
They have what is almost a warped swastika shape deeply embedded in the
tuber. They are rocket potatoes and ones at another end of the allotment
are ok. There are miniscule white grubs in the ones she found today. I
can only find watering or cold problems in the RHS book.
http://flickr.com/photos/beachcomber...7606222660648/

I would call that a watering issue, specifically heavy rain after a dry
period, causing them to swell and burst the skins, as happens with a lot
of crops. The white grubs are a separate issue.

Steve

Ok thanks for replying

Old 20-07-2008, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Can anybody tell me why my friend's potatoes are so distorted please? They
have what is almost a warped swastika shape deeply embedded in the tuber.
They are rocket potatoes and ones at another end of the allotment are ok.
There are miniscule white grubs in the ones she found today. I can only
find watering or cold problems in the RHS book.
http://flickr.com/photos/beachcomber...7606222660648/

I would call that a watering issue, specifically heavy rain after a dry
period, causing them to swell and burst the skins, as happens with a lot of
crops. The white grubs are a separate issue.

Steve

Has anyone actually watered their garden this year apart from pots and
containers? I found that brassica seedling sown outside have rotted off,
so had to sow in pots indoors to get them going. Today the weather was
forecast winds decreasing and dry, will someone please tell the weather
regulator? It is windy with frequent showers here in North Staffordshire.
Old 20-07-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| Has anyone actually watered their garden this year apart from pots and
| containers? I found that brassica seedling sown outside have rotted off,
| so had to sow in pots indoors to get them going. Today the weather was
| forecast winds decreasing and dry, will someone please tell the weather
| regulator? It is windy with frequent showers here in North Staffordshire.

Only when establishing plants, but it would have helped if I had
watered my potatoes and brassicas - potato cyst eelworm[*], and
flea beetle :-(

On the former, I have had mine VERY badly hit this year, and am
going to have to give up even earlies for some years. I don't
know how it started, but it is very hard to do a 6-year rotation
in a small plot. However, this is the first year I have had more
than the odd plant badly affected. I suspect that it can maintain
itself in black nightshade and other members of the Solanaceae,
though a Web search failed to confirm that for the UK.
[*] BOTH species :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:

I would call that a watering issue, specifically heavy rain after a dry
period, causing them to swell and burst the skins, as happens with a lot of
crops. The white grubs are a separate issue.

Steve

Has anyone actually watered their garden this year apart from pots and
containers? I found that brassica seedling sown outside have rotted off,
so had to sow in pots indoors to get them going. Today the weather was
forecast winds decreasing and dry, will someone please tell the weather
regulator? It is windy with frequent showers here in North Staffordshire.
Indeed but have you noticed how confidently they predict what is going to happen to the weather due to global warming? Muppets.
Old 20-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered User

Watering is an issue I think however it may also be due to organic matter/manure being added to the plot that is far too fresh and not well rotted.

Kathryn

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk