Old 21-07-2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Pepper problems

"Mike" wrote in message news:W6qgk.103$5Q.98@trnddc06...
..

Their getting enough water, I think the first problem was the Uni-grow
potting soil I used for germinating the seeds became contaminated with a
dampening off type bacteria. Since then I've switched to Kellogg's Palm &
Cactus mix, and in a short time the pepper seeds germinate. I have had
problems with Unigrow before, if the pot gets a little too damp or hot, it
turns into what looks like rotting bran mush.

The second problem was the plot being overloaded with Manure, Ammonium
Phosphate, Sulfur and Ironite.

We can't pinpoint the problem with our gardens except the whiteflies are
getting out of hand in one of them. The NeemOil didn't put a dent in the
population yet so I switched to Bug Be Gone. That helped. My sister's flower
garden is infested with whitefly also. Several other people that don't live
too close to us are also complaining about their peppers not producing. But
I have a friend who lives in another county and her peppers are thriving.
Today I found more green leaves below the peppers again. :*(