Old 15-07-2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pepper problems

Maybe someone can shed light on this problem. We're in zone 6a, almost
online with 7a and our garden is thriving this year. That is, everything but
the peppers. I have regular bell and the colored types including a few
pimentos. Of the 18 plants only 3 have a few peppers. The rest are tall and
a nice green but with almost no flowers. Tiny buds just sit there. When
flowers do open, they close in a few days, turn brown to the stem, and the
entire thing falls off. No peppers form. Also, I find it strange that
they're dropping green leaves from the bottom. Every one of them has at
least 2 green leaves they've dropped. They're spread out over 3 garden
plots, not all together. We don't see any insect pests on them. Usually by
mid july I'm awash in peppers and already freezing them for winter. We've
had rain so drought is not a problem this year. Any suggestions? Ideas?
Thoughts? We really miss our peppers.

Old 15-07-2008, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Darlington" wrote:

[...]

Are they getting pollinated?
Old 15-07-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In m "Darlington" writes:

Tiny buds just sit there. When
flowers do open, they close in a few days, turn brown to the stem, and the
entire thing falls off.

If your nighttime temperatures are too cold (less than 65), or daytime
temperatures are too hot (above 90), peppers will drop their flowers.
This can also happen if the plants have a magnesium deficiency. You can
try spraying the blooms with Epsom salts if that's the case.

Regards,
Greg
--
\|/ ___ \|/ +----- 2048R/38BD6CAB -----+
@~./'O o`\.~@ | 02BD EF81 91B3 1B33 64C2 |
Old 16-07-2008, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

Are they getting pollinated?

How can I tell? I see an occasional bee in the gardens. The squash and
peppers are being pollinated so I'm sure they are also.

Old 16-07-2008, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Greg Mortensen" wrote in message
In m "Darlington"
writes:

Tiny buds just sit there. When
flowers do open, they close in a few days, turn brown to the stem, and the
entire thing falls off.

If your nighttime temperatures are too cold (less than 65), or daytime
temperatures are too hot (above 90), peppers will drop their flowers.
This can also happen if the plants have a magnesium deficiency. You can
try spraying the blooms with Epsom salts if that's the case.

Nighttime is in the 70s and 80s. Daytime temps are in the 80s and 90s but
they didn't set fruit even before the days got that high. I have Epsom
salts and will try spraying them tomorrow. How much do you recommend per
gallon of water in the sprayer?

Regards,
Greg
--
\|/ ___ \|/ +----- 2048R/38BD6CAB -----+
@~./'O o`\.~@ | 02BD EF81 91B3 1B33 64C2 |

Old 16-07-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In "Marie Dodge" writes:

I have Epsom salts and will try spraying them tomorrow. How much do you
recommend per gallon of water in the sprayer?

Use one tablespoon per gallon for starters.

--
\|/ ___ \|/ +----- 2048R/38BD6CAB -----+
@~./'O o`\.~@ | 02BD EF81 91B3 1B33 64C2 |
Old 17-07-2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Greg Mortensen" wrote in message
In "Marie Dodge"
writes:

I have Epsom salts and will try spraying them tomorrow. How much do you
recommend per gallon of water in the sprayer?

Use one tablespoon per gallon for starters.

Done! Thanks.

--
\|/ ___ \|/ +----- 2048R/38BD6CAB -----+
@~./'O o`\.~@ | 02BD EF81 91B3 1B33 64C2 |

Old 17-07-2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Darlington" wrote in message
. com...

entire thing falls off. No peppers form. Also, I find it strange that
they're dropping green leaves from the bottom. Every one of them has at
least 2 green leaves they've dropped. They're spread out over 3 garden
plots, not all together. We don't see any insect pests on them.
Thoughts? We really miss our peppers.

I've noticed that too but I thought the reason my garden was screwed up was
because I listened to John Chapman. http://www.johnchapman.com/

Old 17-07-2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
I3 I3 is offline

Mike wrote:
"Darlington" wrote in message
. com...

entire thing falls off. No peppers form. Also, I find it strange that
they're dropping green leaves from the bottom. Every one of them has at
least 2 green leaves they've dropped. They're spread out over 3 garden
plots, not all together. We don't see any insect pests on them.
Thoughts? We really miss our peppers.

I've noticed that too but I thought the reason my garden was screwed up was
because I listened to John Chapman. http://www.johnchapman.com/

Are they receiving sufficient moisture? A common problem for fruit drop.
Old 18-07-2008, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"I3" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"Darlington" wrote in message
. com...

entire thing falls off. No peppers form. Also, I find it strange that
they're dropping green leaves from the bottom. Every one of them has at
least 2 green leaves they've dropped. They're spread out over 3 garden
plots, not all together. We don't see any insect pests on them.
Thoughts? We really miss our peppers.

I've noticed that too but I thought the reason my garden was screwed up
was
because I listened to John Chapman. http://www.johnchapman.com/

Are they receiving sufficient moisture? A common problem for fruit drop.

Peppers are generally very late here in Maryland; we don't expect any fruit
from bell or hot peppers until late August.

I planted some bhut jokolia peppers this year, supposed to be the hottest in
the world at twice the Scoville heat rating of the previous hottest pepper.
The plants are doing well but no flowers or fruit yet.

Paul

Old 18-07-2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mike wrote:
"Darlington" wrote in message
. com...

entire thing falls off. No peppers form. Also, I find it strange that
they're dropping green leaves from the bottom. Every one of them has at
least 2 green leaves they've dropped. They're spread out over 3 garden
plots, not all together. We don't see any insect pests on them.
Thoughts? We really miss our peppers.

I've noticed that too but I thought the reason my garden was screwed up
was
because I listened to John Chapman. http://www.johnchapman.com/

Are they receiving sufficient moisture? A common problem for fruit drop.

Moisture is not a problem. They're watered as needed plus we've had normal
rainfall this year. Peppers have always thrived and we rotate everything. I
sprayed them with Epsom Salts but so far they look the same. Now I'm
noticing some whitefly in the one garden. I sprayed the peppers and tomatoes
with Neem Oil. Even the peppers in the nice rich soil of a converted flower
bed have hardly grown. They're no more than 18" tall and were planted out
the end of April.

Old 19-07-2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mike wrote:
"Darlington" wrote in message
. com...

entire thing falls off. No peppers form. Also, I find it strange that
they're dropping green leaves from the bottom. Every one of them has at
least 2 green leaves they've dropped. They're spread out over 3 garden
plots, not all together. We don't see any insect pests on them.
Thoughts? We really miss our peppers.

I've noticed that too but I thought the reason my garden was screwed up

was
because I listened to John Chapman. http://www.johnchapman.com/

Are they receiving sufficient moisture? A common problem for fruit drop.

Their getting enough water, I think the first problem was the Uni-grow
potting soil I used for germinating the seeds became contaminated with a
dampening off type bacteria. Since then I've switched to Kellogg's Palm &
Cactus mix, and in a short time the pepper seeds germinate. I have had
problems with Unigrow before, if the pot gets a little too damp or hot, it
turns into what looks like rotting bran mush.

The second problem was the plot being overloaded with Manure, Ammonium
Phosphate, Sulfur and Ironite.

Old 21-07-2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message news:W6qgk.103$5Q.98@trnddc06...
..

Their getting enough water, I think the first problem was the Uni-grow
potting soil I used for germinating the seeds became contaminated with a
dampening off type bacteria. Since then I've switched to Kellogg's Palm &
Cactus mix, and in a short time the pepper seeds germinate. I have had
problems with Unigrow before, if the pot gets a little too damp or hot, it
turns into what looks like rotting bran mush.

The second problem was the plot being overloaded with Manure, Ammonium
Phosphate, Sulfur and Ironite.

We can't pinpoint the problem with our gardens except the whiteflies are
getting out of hand in one of them. The NeemOil didn't put a dent in the
population yet so I switched to Bug Be Gone. That helped. My sister's flower
garden is infested with whitefly also. Several other people that don't live
too close to us are also complaining about their peppers not producing. But
I have a friend who lives in another county and her peppers are thriving.
Today I found more green leaves below the peppers again. :*(