Old 21-07-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Please help me to identify these plants. 1 of 2

On 21/7/08 19:03, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

On Jul 19, 10:33 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I agree with Dave Poole and Beccabunga. (Rhus cotinus and Cotinus
coggyria are different names for the same plant.)

Cotinus coggygria has been the accepted name for a good 30 years,
which makes me wonder why the continued use of the archaic version.

I must admit that, in my ignorance, I've heard of Rhus cotinus but had never
associated it with C. coggyria which I've always known as just that. It's a
bit like Lippia citrodora, now known by the much more unattractive name of
Aloysia triphylla which bears no description of the plant itself to the
untrained ear. The 'citrodora' bit was an essential component, IMO. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com