Old 19-07-2008, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please help me to identify these plants. 1 of 2

"Hibiscus" wrote in message

Many thanks!

Isn't one of them a nasturtium?

Old 19-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Registered User

Question Please help me to identify these plants. 2 of 2

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me to identify these plants. 2 of 2-dscn3081.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants. 2 of 2-dscn3098.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants. 2 of 2-dscn3101.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants. 2 of 2-dscn3106.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants. 2 of 2-dscn3222.jpg

Old 19-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscus View Post
Many thanks!
The third one is Stachys Byzantina, or Lamb's Ear. I had one of them, and it self seeds like crazy!

The last one looks like Hollyhock to me.
Old 19-07-2008, 04:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

They a

1) Convolvulus cneorum. (Silver bush)
2) Verbena - could be any one of the newer hybrids.
3) Tropaeolum 'Alaska'. (Variegated Nasturtium).
4) Cotinus coggygria. (Smoke bush)
5) Robinia pseudacacia 'Frisia'. (False Acacia)
6) Santolina incana. (Cotton Lavender)

Old 19-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscus View Post
Many thanks!

1 Goldenrod

2 Campanula

3 Flos jovis

4 Love-in-the-Mist

5 Hollyhock

Old 19-07-2008, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Hibiscus
writes

Many thanks!

|Filename: DSCN7850.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9738|
|Filename: DSCN8157.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9739|

|Filename: DSCN8371.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9740|
|Filename: DSCN8936.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9741|
|Filename: DSCN9088.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9742|
|Filename: DSCN3076.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9743|

I agree with Dave Poole and Beccabunga. (Rhus cotinus and Cotinus
coggyria are different names for the same plant.)
--
Hibiscus

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
1 Goldenrod

2 Campanula

3 Flos jovis

4 Love-in-the-Mist

5 Hollyhock

Oh blimey! A neighbour gave me a plant he had grown from seed a couple of years ago, and told me it was Stachys. Having just seen Becca's post, I
looked up Stachys and realised that is not what it is!! So at least I now know the right name for my plant!

Apologies Hibiscus if I caused you any confusion!
Old 20-07-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jul, 01:29, Hibiscus
wrote:
Many thanks!

Any more?!?!? I've missed this round and I wanna play!! ;o)
Old 21-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On 19 Jul, 01:29, Hibiscus
wrote:
Many thanks!

Any more?!?!? I've missed this round and I wanna play!! ;o)
Thank you all!
Old 21-07-2008, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Jul 19, 10:33 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I agree with Dave Poole and Beccabunga. (Rhus cotinus and Cotinus
coggyria are different names for the same plant.)

Cotinus coggygria has been the accepted name for a good 30 years,
which makes me wonder why the continued use of the archaic version.

Old 21-07-2008, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Poole writes
wrote:

I agree with Dave Poole and Beccabunga. (Rhus cotinus and Cotinus
coggyria are different names for the same plant.)

Cotinus coggygria has been the accepted name for a good 30 years,
which makes me wonder why the continued use of the archaic version.

People are still using Althaea rosea and Malvastrum lateritium, and I
think that they're at least that out of date.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley