Old 08-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Hussein M.

Default Vine pruning - when?

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:30:41 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

To 'nip it in the bud' you can just rub an unwanted bud out.

Hey! I use this technique quite extensively. Esp. roses where I can
see the upstart is going to cut across the centre of the plant at an
ugly angle.

You may think I am a right regimental disciplinarian but actually I
favour the wild jumbly look - but only as an overall effect.

I imagine I am actually doing the plant a favour. The energy is
going into growth which is desired rather than into growth which will
in due time receive a massive wound by secateur. That little bud is so
rich with activity and all the chemical paraphernalia the plant itself
uses to combat pathogens .. or is that amateurish wishful thinking?

I was going to suggest it to the poster whose maple had received a
battering by the neighbour but decided I had written quite enough
already.

Huss

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.