Old 23-07-2008, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Default what weedkiller?

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...
I have never used weed killers. A probably irrational horror of chemicals.
Anyway I have a small area of cobbles, stone sets set in sand (no cement
between or below) and I have been persuaded that a weedkiller may be the
best way to clear the large amount of grass and weeds coming through the
gaps.

I think I have heard that the right chemical will leave some attractive
moss growing but kill the leaved plants. What would that be? The cobbles
are constantly crossed by pets and humans so there is considerable danger
of getting it indoors on the carpets and cats eating it. But I could make
sure the pets didn't go on it for a while.

Tim w

a short term none toxic answer is a pressure washer it happily pulverises
weeds in that situation but will lift out sand. The option is then to pour
sodium chlorate into the bottom of the cracks and cover with more sand to
prevent pet intervention.
Derek