Old 23-07-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what weedkiller?

I have never used weed killers. A probably irrational horror of chemicals.
Anyway I have a small area of cobbles, stone sets set in sand (no cement
between or below) and I have been persuaded that a weedkiller may be the
best way to clear the large amount of grass and weeds coming through the
gaps.

I think I have heard that the right chemical will leave some attractive moss
growing but kill the leaved plants. What would that be? The cobbles are
constantly crossed by pets and humans so there is considerable danger of
getting it indoors on the carpets and cats eating it. But I could make sure
the pets didn't go on it for a while.

Tim w

Old 23-07-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/7/08 18:43, in article
, "Tim W"
wrote:

I have never used weed killers. A probably irrational horror of chemicals.
Anyway I have a small area of cobbles, stone sets set in sand (no cement
between or below) and I have been persuaded that a weedkiller may be the
best way to clear the large amount of grass and weeds coming through the
gaps.

I think I have heard that the right chemical will leave some attractive moss
growing but kill the leaved plants. What would that be? The cobbles are
constantly crossed by pets and humans so there is considerable danger of
getting it indoors on the carpets and cats eating it. But I could make sure
the pets didn't go on it for a while.

Tim w

I wonder if salt would work.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-07-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...

... there is considerable danger of getting it indoors on the carpets and
cats eating it.

The cats eat carpet?

Mary

Old 23-07-2008, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...
I have never used weed killers. A probably irrational horror of chemicals.
Anyway I have a small area of cobbles, stone sets set in sand (no cement
between or below) and I have been persuaded that a weedkiller may be the
best way to clear the large amount of grass and weeds coming through the
gaps.

I think I have heard that the right chemical will leave some attractive
moss growing but kill the leaved plants. What would that be? The cobbles
are constantly crossed by pets and humans so there is considerable danger
of getting it indoors on the carpets and cats eating it. But I could make
sure the pets didn't go on it for a while.

Tim w

a short term none toxic answer is a pressure washer it happily pulverises
weeds in that situation but will lift out sand. The option is then to pour
sodium chlorate into the bottom of the cracks and cover with more sand to
prevent pet intervention.
Derek

Old 23-07-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...
I have never used weed killers. A probably irrational horror of chemicals.
Anyway I have a small area of cobbles, stone sets set in sand (no cement
between or below) and I have been persuaded that a weedkiller may be the
best way to clear the large amount of grass and weeds coming through the
gaps.

I think I have heard that the right chemical will leave some attractive
moss growing but kill the leaved plants. What would that be? The cobbles
are constantly crossed by pets and humans so there is considerable danger
of getting it indoors on the carpets and cats eating it. But I could make
sure the pets didn't go on it for a while.

Tim w

roundup should do it or any other total weedkiller

Old 23-07-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim W wrote:

I have never used weed killers. A probably irrational horror of chemicals.
Anyway I have a small area of cobbles, stone sets set in sand (no cement
between or below) and I have been persuaded that a weedkiller may be the
best way to clear the large amount of grass and weeds coming through the
gaps.

I think I have heard that the right chemical will leave some attractive moss
growing but kill the leaved plants. What would that be? The cobbles are
constantly crossed by pets and humans so there is considerable danger of
getting it indoors on the carpets and cats eating it. But I could make sure
the pets didn't go on it for a while.

Glyphosate is pretty harmless considering how lethal it is to plants.
The wetting agents are far more dangerous than the active ingredient. If
you are nervous about chemicals it is by far the best chioce. And it is
very effective against grass (so effective that you don't walk on a lawn
with any spray on your boots). It is more ecologically friendly than
burning the weeds (you get dioxins that way). Avoid the brand name
Roundup unless you really approve of their GM stuff (any generic
glyphosate formulation will do).

If you were a bit more inclined to chemical warfare then PathClear or
something else with a germination inhibitor will give better results on
a path albeit with a slightly nastier hazard. Once dry it is safe enough.

Sodium chlorate will also zap weeds under these circumstances with a
slight fire hazard and some risk of white crystals getting into the
house. It eventually decomposes to sodium choride (aka table salt).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Weedkiller. chris.sperry United Kingdom 4 07-05-2003 08:44 AM
weedkiller, roundup, knockdown Frank Logullo Gardening 5 05-05-2003 02:44 PM
Grass Killer (weedkiller) welshman United Kingdom 3 29-04-2003 08:33 PM
Weedkiller TAK United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:14 AM
Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller Jane Ransom United Kingdom 3 28-09-2002 04:51 PM