Old 24-07-2008, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Autumn Bliss Raspberries fruiting in June?!

Lizziebeth said:

I'm new to growing fruit this year and decided to buy some Autumn Bliss
raspberry canes in January.

I planted them in great big pots in the winter and by June, they were
fruiting small amounts of raspberries. They look very healthy and
happy etc

Not complaining in the slightest but I thought they weren't meant to
fruit until August?

Typical raspberries have a pattern of growth like this:

Year 1: cane starts growing
Year 2: cane fruits in early summer, then dies

In autumn bearers, you get this:

Year 1: cane starts growing and fruits at the top in late summer
Year 2: cane fruits in early summer, then dies

Sometimes people growing autumn bearers cut all canes down
during the winter and only get the late summer/autumn crop.

Your "early" fruits came on last year's canes.

After enlightenment, the laundry.