Old 23-07-2008, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Autumn Bliss Raspberries fruiting in June?!

In article ,
Lizziebeth wrote:

I'm new to growing fruit this year and decided to buy some Autumn
Blissraspberry canes in January.

I planted them in great big pots in the winter and by June, they werefruiting
small amounts of raspberries. They look very healthy andhappy etc

Not complaining in the slightest but I thought they weren't meant tofruit
until August?

Do you think they were a wrongly labelled variety or have I just beenvery
lucky to get an early harvest?

I can see lots of new fruit forming on the tops of the plants now. Whereas
the early fruit was all quite low down.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
L-- Lizziebeth

A lot of fruit are ripening early this year. Texas Dewberries normally
ripen the first part of May. They were well done by then this year.

My Mustang grapes normally ripen the first of August. This year, they
were raisins by the first part of July.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Old 23-07-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We have 2 types of raspberries on our backyard. one type fruit in the
summer ~July (red fruit) and the other fruits twice once in July and
once in ~September (golden fruit).maybe yours will fruit twice also. i
have no idea what type of raspberries I have.

Simon

On Jul 23, 1:35*pm, Lizziebeth
wrote:
I'm new to growing fruit this year and decided to buy some Autumn Bliss
raspberry canes in January.

I planted them in great big pots in the winter and by June, they were
fruiting small amounts of raspberries. *They look very healthy and
happy etc

Not complaining in the slightest but I thought they weren't meant to
fruit until August?

Do you think they were a wrongly labelled variety or have I just been
very lucky to get an early harvest?

I can see lots of new fruit forming on the tops of the plants now.
Whereas the early fruit was all quite low down. *

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Lizziebeth

Old 24-07-2008, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lizziebeth said:

I'm new to growing fruit this year and decided to buy some Autumn Bliss
raspberry canes in January.

I planted them in great big pots in the winter and by June, they were
fruiting small amounts of raspberries. They look very healthy and
happy etc

Not complaining in the slightest but I thought they weren't meant to
fruit until August?

Typical raspberries have a pattern of growth like this:

Year 1: cane starts growing
Year 2: cane fruits in early summer, then dies

In autumn bearers, you get this:

Year 1: cane starts growing and fruits at the top in late summer
Year 2: cane fruits in early summer, then dies

Sometimes people growing autumn bearers cut all canes down
during the winter and only get the late summer/autumn crop.

Your "early" fruits came on last year's canes.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 25-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Registered User

Thanks a lot for your responses everyone. That makes sense, Pat.

The new fruit looks almost ready to ripen I'm looking forward to the "true" autumn crop now.

I've only grown veggies before so it has been a real delight this year and I love it that you get fruit year after year from same plants.

Do you guys grow any other kinds fruit? I have a border that doesn't get full sun but may 3-4 hours of sunlight a day and I've heard that some kinds of fruit don't mind some shade.

Old 25-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Registered User

Due to the gardening conditions this year and bearing in mind the plants were only newly planted i at the back end of last year it could be one of two either the weather conditions brought the fruit early if large bushes/canes planted , however if not mature plants then it could actually be the wrong variety.

kathryn
www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk