Old 24-07-2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default spirea suckers

In article , wilf
wrote:

We have a long spirea hedge next door running along the side of our
fence.
It sends out suckers constantly which take a fair bit of time to
remove.
I was considering burying some sort of barrier, e.g. a wall of slate
along the side of the fence to stop the suckers coming through to our
garden. Can anyone tell me if this would/could work and how deep would
the barrier have to go to stop the suckers coming under the fence.
Many thanks

Check out some of the barriers available commercially to contain the
spread of bamboo. These are essential thin sheets buried in the ground,
wouldn't need to go nearly as deep for spirea as for bamboo, but the cool
thing is you don't lose any planting area since the barrier is very thin.
Almost anything you just lay on top of the soil the spirea will find its
way under or through, whereas sinking a deep concrete barrier is overkill
and would alkalinize the soil in the process.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com