Old 24-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Registered User

Location: south east london
Default spirea suckers

We have a long spirea hedge next door running along the side of our fence.
It sends out suckers constantly which take a fair bit of time to remove.
I was considering burying some sort of barrier, e.g. a wall of slate along the side of the fence to stop the suckers coming through to our garden. Can anyone tell me if this would/could work and how deep would the barrier have to go to stop the suckers coming under the fence.
Many thanks
Old 24-07-2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , wilf
wrote:

We have a long spirea hedge next door running along the side of our
fence.
It sends out suckers constantly which take a fair bit of time to
remove.
I was considering burying some sort of barrier, e.g. a wall of slate
along the side of the fence to stop the suckers coming through to our
garden. Can anyone tell me if this would/could work and how deep would
the barrier have to go to stop the suckers coming under the fence.
Many thanks

Check out some of the barriers available commercially to contain the
spread of bamboo. These are essential thin sheets buried in the ground,
wouldn't need to go nearly as deep for spirea as for bamboo, but the cool
thing is you don't lose any planting area since the barrier is very thin.
Almost anything you just lay on top of the soil the spirea will find its
way under or through, whereas sinking a deep concrete barrier is overkill
and would alkalinize the soil in the process.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 25-07-2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 24, 1:40*pm, wilf wrote:
We have a long spirea hedge next door running along the side of our
fence.
It sends out suckers constantly which take a fair bit of time to
remove.
I was considering burying some sort of barrier, e.g. a wall of slate
along the side of the fence to stop the suckers coming through to our
garden. Can anyone tell me if this would/could work and how deep would
the barrier have to go to stop the suckers coming under the fence.
Many thanks

--
wilf

You could use a barrier or you could walk the line with a sharp spade
a couple times a year. If you use a barrier I doubt anything deeper
than a foot is needed, leave a couple inches proud of the ground and
angled away from the spirea to force any escapees up and into sight
instead of down and under the barrier.
Old 28-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Registered User

Location: south east london
Smile

Thank you very much, that was most helpful

[IMG] code is On

Starting spirea Allview Gardening 5 29-04-2004 05:04 PM
Pruning Blue Spirea (caryopteris) and Buddelia (Butterfly bush) Louis Ohland Gardening 2 13-10-2003 07:02 PM
What is growing with my Spirea? Ian Gardening 17 23-05-2003 01:56 PM
what's invading my spirea xcitor Gardening 9 08-05-2003 02:32 PM
Pruning a Spirea Serena Blanchflower United Kingdom 3 25-02-2003 01:27 PM