Old 25-07-2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default spirea suckers

On Jul 24, 1:40*pm, wilf wrote:
We have a long spirea hedge next door running along the side of our
fence.
It sends out suckers constantly which take a fair bit of time to
remove.
I was considering burying some sort of barrier, e.g. a wall of slate
along the side of the fence to stop the suckers coming through to our
garden. Can anyone tell me if this would/could work and how deep would
the barrier have to go to stop the suckers coming under the fence.
Many thanks

--
wilf

You could use a barrier or you could walk the line with a sharp spade
a couple times a year. If you use a barrier I doubt anything deeper
than a foot is needed, leave a couple inches proud of the ground and
angled away from the spirea to force any escapees up and into sight
instead of down and under the barrier.