Old 25-07-2008, 02:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Madeira

We went to the Azores a couple of years ago in springtime. It was a really
wonderful place for plants, and was especially nice if you like Hydrangeas,
which constitute the main hedgerows on the island we stayed on. But there
was much, much more flora to see.

From what I have since heard from friends, Madeira is like 2000,
touristically-speaking, but the Azores are like being back in 1960, perfect
for crumblies like me. We stayed in the town of Ponta Delgado on the island
of Sao Miguel, and I have never in my life seen so many shoe shops in one
small town! Whale-watching is also a speciality of the island.

It being a volcanic island, we had our lunch cooked overnight in a large
metal pot lowered into a small caldera of boiling mud.

Excursions were available to the other islands but we didn't have the time.
However we are thinking about going back next spring and visiting some of
the other places.

someone
..
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill