Old 24-07-2008, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Madeira

We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill
Old 24-07-2008, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/7/08 14:36, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill

CHARLIE!!!!!!!!!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-07-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 204a7b89-b6fa-45bd-b60b-
,
says...
We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill

email me Dave
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 25-07-2008, 02:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We went to the Azores a couple of years ago in springtime. It was a really
wonderful place for plants, and was especially nice if you like Hydrangeas,
which constitute the main hedgerows on the island we stayed on. But there
was much, much more flora to see.

From what I have since heard from friends, Madeira is like 2000,
touristically-speaking, but the Azores are like being back in 1960, perfect
for crumblies like me. We stayed in the town of Ponta Delgado on the island
of Sao Miguel, and I have never in my life seen so many shoe shops in one
small town! Whale-watching is also a speciality of the island.

It being a volcanic island, we had our lunch cooked overnight in a large
metal pot lowered into a small caldera of boiling mud.

Excursions were available to the other islands but we didn't have the time.
However we are thinking about going back next spring and visiting some of
the other places.

someone
..

Old 25-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill
I thought there was only one place to stay in Madeira, Reids :-) :-)

http://www.reidspalace.com/web/omad/reids_palac

Old 25-07-2008, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/08 15:27, in article , "Granity"
wrote:

Dave Hill;805973 Wrote:
We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill

I thought there was only one place to stay in Madeira, Reids :-) :-)

http://tinyurl.com/64x94j

We went there for drinks - very luxe but not entirely my idea of a relaxing
holiday, somehow!

Old 26-07-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.

You don't say exactly where you are going but do check out the possibility
of a "capacete" (God's helmet) at the time you intend to go. With the wind
in a certain direction, and the island is subject to Trade Winds, the
mountains give rise to a thick cloud over certain areas which does not move
until the wind changes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-07-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Jul, 14:36, Dave Hill wrote:
We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill

Hello,
I would recommend this hotel most highly.
We stayed there several years ago and it is exquisite in every way.
I do not know how the prices compare now.
Then at least, its privacy and location were great near Funchal but on
cheap bus and taxi routes.
Perhaps its reviews on this site will help.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a_Islands.html

I believe it has its own site too.

We did a lot of walking both times we visited and we have plenty of
recommendations
if you want to contact off list.
David and Melissa
Old 26-07-2008, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...-Reviews-Quint...

I believe it has its own site too.

We did a lot of walking both times we visited and we have plenty of
recommendations
if you want to contact off list.
David and Melissa

Thanks for the hotel ideas, but the 2 named are a bit over our budget
at over £150 per night, but it does look as if Funchel is the place to
stay.
The Azores is an interesting idea but it looks as if they close down
for the winter, and as they are volcanic I am doubtfull about us
going, as on past holidays I have had earthquake - 6.5 0n the richter
scale and I was 20 miles from the epicentre - . floods, Heavy snow in
the middle east, so with my luck there'd be an eruption just for us.
So it still looks like Maderia.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.
Old 27-07-2008, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/7/08 22:06, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 26 Jul, 19:39, gilli wrote:
[...]

Dave, just one quick thought. Madeira is *very* hilly. We stayed at the
Sheraton and the walk up and down into the harbourside where the 'action'
is, is pretty steep which might matter to both of you unless you stay down
there and use taxis etc. to get to other places.

Old 27-07-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 06:36:14 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill

Hi David
I would just point out that when I went to Madeira 10 years ago we
went at the end of February, and were disappointed that there were not
many flowers to see. It seemed to be the low point for most plants.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-07-2008, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
We are hoping to pay our first visit to Madeira in the new year,
Ideas of where to stay etc would be greatly appreciated.
David Hill

Hi David
I would just point out that when I went to Madeira 10 years ago we
went at the end of February, and were disappointed that there were not
many flowers to see. *It seemed to be the low point for most plants.

Pam in Bristol

Thats the problem with having to holiday in the UK winter, though if
Malta is anything to go by then there are quite a lot of seeds still
hanging around on plants, and some plants do flower very early in
spring ......I hope.
David Hill

O T. Visit to Madeira The Hound United Kingdom 2 02-12-2005 04:51 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 10 24-09-2003 12:21 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 09:15 AM
non vasculars in MADEIRA help daniel vega Plant Science 1 18-06-2003 11:56 AM
madeira non vascular help daniel vega Plant Science 0 16-06-2003 10:56 PM