Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Ted Byers

Default What results are to be expected from crossing Phalaenopsis violacea?

One of my suppliers is likely to be getting some P. violacea in soon, and
has asked if I am interested. I do not yet know what to say.

P. violacea is of interest because of its colour and scent, but it doesn't
produce many flowers. What would the likely result would be of crossing it
with, say, P. celebensis or P. equestris or P. amabilis? If the colour and
scent are recessive and the few flowered raceme very dominant, the result
would be a rather boring, scentless, few flowered plant, which would make it
much much less interesting than if the colour and scent were dominant and
the few flowered raceme recessive to the floriferous panicle. I would
assume I am not the first to consider these crosses. Does anyone know what
others have found with these crosses (assuming they've been done)?

Another vendour has told me that he will likely be getting some P.
schilleriana which he says are quite fragrant, but it may take as long as a
year (he works with a breeder who expects to have some more in about a
year). So, would a cross of P. violacea with P. amabilis or P. celebensis
produce something that compares favourably with P. schilleriana, or a boring
plant with little colour, no scent and only a couple flowers?

Cheers,

Ted