Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Ted Byers

Default What results are to be expected from crossing Phalaenopsis violacea?

One of my suppliers is likely to be getting some P. violacea in soon, and
has asked if I am interested. I do not yet know what to say.

P. violacea is of interest because of its colour and scent, but it doesn't
produce many flowers. What would the likely result would be of crossing it
with, say, P. celebensis or P. equestris or P. amabilis? If the colour and
scent are recessive and the few flowered raceme very dominant, the result
would be a rather boring, scentless, few flowered plant, which would make it
much much less interesting than if the colour and scent were dominant and
the few flowered raceme recessive to the floriferous panicle. I would
assume I am not the first to consider these crosses. Does anyone know what
others have found with these crosses (assuming they've been done)?

Another vendour has told me that he will likely be getting some P.
schilleriana which he says are quite fragrant, but it may take as long as a
year (he works with a breeder who expects to have some more in about a
year). So, would a cross of P. violacea with P. amabilis or P. celebensis
produce something that compares favourably with P. schilleriana, or a boring
plant with little colour, no scent and only a couple flowers?

Cheers,

Ted

Old 08-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Richard

"Ted Byers" wrote in
:

One of my suppliers is likely to be getting some P. violacea in soon,
and has asked if I am interested. I do not yet know what to say.

P. violacea is of interest because of its colour and scent, but it
doesn't produce many flowers. What would the likely result would be
of crossing it with, say, P. celebensis or P. equestris or P.
amabilis? If the colour and scent are recessive and the few flowered
raceme very dominant, the result would be a rather boring, scentless,
few flowered plant, which would make it much much less interesting
than if the colour and scent were dominant and the few flowered raceme
recessive to the floriferous panicle. I would assume I am not the
first to consider these crosses. Does anyone know what others have
found with these crosses (assuming they've been done)?

Phalaenopsis violacea primary hybrids:
http://topsorchid.20m.com/violaceapri.html

Only shows cross with equestris from the ones you list
Old 08-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Al

There is a picture of Phal Germaine Vincent, a nifty looking flower.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Reka

Here's another place to look:
http://home.fr.inter.net/~brochart/v...a/index_e.html
Good pics of primary hybrids.
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
"Ted Byers" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
[...]

---

Old 08-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Ted Byers

"Richard" wrote in message

Phalaenopsis violacea primary hybrids:
http://topsorchid.20m.com/violaceapri.html

Only shows cross with equestris from the ones you list

Yes, and this is the only picture on this site where you can see more than
one or two flowers and buds. But all of the pictures, both of the primary
hybrids and of the varieties of P. violacea, show lovely flowers.

Thanks,

Ted

Old 08-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Ted Byers

"Al" wrote in message
There is a picture of Phal Germaine Vincent, a nifty looking flower.

Agreed. But then all of the flowers shown on that site are lovely.

Ted

Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Ted Byers

"Reka" wrote in message
Here's another place to look:
http://home.fr.inter.net/~brochart/v...a/index_e.html
Good pics of primary hybrids.
--

Thanks Reka

One of the pictures it has of P. Equalacea (equestris x violacea) , the
small one in the bottom left corner of the equalacea page linking to a large
image clearly shows a developing panicle. Lovely.

It also looks like Princess Kaiulani(violacea x amboinensis), photo by Mick
Fournier, has plenty of flowers, but it is hard to tell from the image
whether that is from a single large panicle or a multitude of racemes. How
about it Mick? Do you remember this plant? If so, was it a panicle or
several racemes? And just how many flowers were there?

I found the photo of P. violacea var Malayan surprising. That picture shows
a plant with lots of flowers, but the impression left by people I've talked
to, as well as Christenson, was that P. violacea typically had only one or
two flowers. I found one other picture of this variety on the web, and it
too shows many flowers (as well as multiple inforescences). The plants
themselves looked to be quite substantial, but that may be an illusion
created by how the picture was taken. Is this variety a freak among the
P.violacea? Or might it be that most specimens examined of other varieties
of P. violacea were too small to produce and support many flowers? Or are
the specimens pictured something else, and not a P. violacea at all? Or
maybe it is a question of timing, simultaneous vs sequential, that is the
real issue, and what happens when you mix the two, rather than number of
flowers that can be produced?

Cheers,

Ted

Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:31:06
-0400, "Ted Byers" did speak the following
bit of wisdom:

Another vendour has told me that he will likely be getting some P.
schilleriana which he says are quite fragrant,

FWIW: I have never detected any scent at all from my schilleriana
blooms. My big one has been in flower for a little over a month now...
* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"