Old 26-07-2008, 12:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default Apple tree

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:56:27 +1000, SG1 wrote:

We have an apple tree with a few main stems and a few suckers (soon to go).
My aim is to make the tree fan shaped, with only one stem and a darn sight
less branches than now.
My problem I have never pruned an apple before. Any advise other than ground
levelling is welcome & sought.
Jim in warm Toowoomba (the fire is on at the moment)

Well,from what I remember of Peter cundals on Gardening Australias, you
basically brought the single main stem up a coupleof eet fron the ground,
then branched it. he was doing a cup frame, to open the middle for
sunlight (or was that other fruit.

Usually if you do a fan and want it flat you tie/stake it to a flat
serface or tellis to train it.