Old 27-07-2008, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default What Kind of Tree is This? Stumped.

said:

What kind of tree is this? I took a few leaves to the local nursery
and they were stumped. The tree has been losing leaves this summer
like crazy - it looks like Fall in my yard! The nursery said it's
probably stressed from the wet summer we've had in Northwest Arkansas
and now it's really hot. They told me it might have a fungus but just
to leav it alone. What kind of tree do you think it is and should I
be doing anything to help it? Thanks for any replies.

Here are a few pictures:

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/wahoo677/

I agree with John, it looks like a box elder (Acer negundo). Usually
considered to be a short-lived tree (although there are some
exceptional specimens that are quite old).

Website with pictures of identification features for box elder:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...2/Default.aspx

Diseases of box elders (scroll down):
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/Trees/tree1.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.