Old 26-07-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What Kind of Tree is This? Stumped.

What kind of tree is this? I took a few leaves to the local nursery
and they were stumped. The tree has been losing leaves this summer
like crazy - it looks like Fall in my yard! The nursery said it's
probably stressed from the wet summer we've had in Northwest Arkansas
and now it's really hot. They told me it might have a fungus but just
to leav it alone. What kind of tree do you think it is and should I
be doing anything to help it? Thanks for any replies.

Here are a few pictures:

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/wahoo677/
Old 26-07-2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
What kind of tree is this? I took a few leaves to the local nursery
and they were stumped. The tree has been losing leaves this summer
like crazy - it looks like Fall in my yard! The nursery said it's
probably stressed from the wet summer we've had in Northwest Arkansas
and now it's really hot. They told me it might have a fungus but just
to leav it alone. What kind of tree do you think it is and should I
be doing anything to help it? Thanks for any replies.

Here are a few pictures:

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/wahoo677/

The leaf pictures were the best you provided but don't show enough detail
for me to make more than the most tentative guess. That guess would be
Ashleaf Maple a.k.a. Box Elder. This is a common tree which grows all over
North America.

A good close image of the point where the opposite leaves meet the twigs
would be more definitive. How many leaves are there on each stem? Most
often this species has 5 but anything from 3 to 7 is within the realm of
possibility. The leaves are variable in shape. I'd say that the bark
picture and the silhouette you provided are within the range I remember.

Box Elder is a favorite of many woodturners because the wood is easy to
work and it often shows a wild coloration which looks to me like someone
smeared raspberry jam all over the basically cream-colored base wood. If
the tree does die and if it has been identified as Box Elder, please get in
touch with your local woodturning club as soon as you can -- they will
thank you for it!

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 27-07-2008, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 26, 3:44*pm, John McGaw wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thank you John. I will take some more pictures of the leaves on
Sunday and post them here.
Old 27-07-2008, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

said:

What kind of tree is this? I took a few leaves to the local nursery
and they were stumped. The tree has been losing leaves this summer
like crazy - it looks like Fall in my yard! The nursery said it's
probably stressed from the wet summer we've had in Northwest Arkansas
and now it's really hot. They told me it might have a fungus but just
to leav it alone. What kind of tree do you think it is and should I
be doing anything to help it? Thanks for any replies.

Here are a few pictures:

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/wahoo677/

I agree with John, it looks like a box elder (Acer negundo). Usually
considered to be a short-lived tree (although there are some
exceptional specimens that are quite old).

Website with pictures of identification features for box elder:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...2/Default.aspx

Diseases of box elders (scroll down):
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/Trees/tree1.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 27-07-2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 27, 6:19*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
said:

[...]

I looked at pictures online and agree it's a boxelder. Now I'd like
to figure out what's wrong with the tree (dropping tons of leaves) and
how I can help it. Here are 8 pictures of the leaves. The yellow ones
that aren't attached just fell and the green ones were pulled off the
tree. I appreciate both of your help. Thanks, George.

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/d...hoo677/Leaves/