Old 27-07-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] thomasb369@yahoo.com is offline

Default Natural landscaping and home values

Hi everybody,

We live near the downtown of Green Bay, Wisconsin, though actually,
it's an old "suburb." Back in the 1920's, the lots were platted as
"farmettes" 50' wide and 250' deep, the idea being that everyone would
have a produce garden.

Over the years most people eventually converted their yards to nothing
but lawn, but when we purchased the home 20 years ago, we decided to
convert half of the backyard to an urban habitat with natural
landscaping. The result has been not only a lovely wooded and secluded
lot full of flowers from early spring through fall, but we haven't
needed to water or use any chemicals. What little lawn we have
(because we've kept it mowed away from neighbors' properties) is only
a 30 minute task with a reel mower.

The problem is, we now have the home up for sale and what to us has
been an asset is a liability in the eyes of prospective buyers! They
want us to knock off thousands of dollars from our asking price for
their cost of "cutting down those trees and clearing out all those
weeds in back." They want the big rectangular lawn.

Has anyone else experienced this situation and if so, what did you
do? Are there any networks we could plug into where we might find an
appreciative owner for this beautiful landscape? We would gladly knock
off a few thousand to someone who said "This is lovely! I want to
keep it." But we've already rejected an offer from somebody who wants
to destroy it. (Yes, I know...we're crazy.)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you might have to offer.

:-) Tommy