Old 27-07-2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] agnacian@gmail.com is offline

Default What Kind of Tree is This? Stumped.

On Jul 27, 6:19*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
said:

What kind of tree is this? *I took a few leaves to the local nursery
and they were stumped. *The tree has been losing leaves this summer
like crazy - it looks like Fall in my yard! *The nursery said it's
probably stressed from the wet summer we've had in Northwest Arkansas
and now it's really hot. *They told me it might have a fungus but just
to leav it alone. *What kind of tree do you think it is and should I
be doing anything to help it? *Thanks for any replies.

Here are a few pictures:

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/wahoo677/

I agree with John, it looks like a box elder (Acer negundo). *Usually
considered to be a short-lived tree (although there are some
exceptional specimens that are quite old).

Website with pictures of identification features for box elder:http://www..dnr.state.oh.us/forestry...2/Default.aspx

Diseases of box elders (scroll down):http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/Trees/tree1.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.

I looked at pictures online and agree it's a boxelder. Now I'd like
to figure out what's wrong with the tree (dropping tons of leaves) and
how I can help it. Here are 8 pictures of the leaves. The yellow ones
that aren't attached just fell and the green ones were pulled off the
tree. I appreciate both of your help. Thanks, George.

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/d...hoo677/Leaves/