Old 30-07-2008, 11:27 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture
Sean Houtman Sean Houtman is offline

Default do better for next year-- asparagus, watermelon, tomatoes, lettuce seeds, grapes

wrote in news:659beee2-a27b-4b8c-bb9e-
:

Tomatoes-- I do not know what causes the lower half to turn brown and
black. Heard that it is the
water that causes it, but not sure. Anyway, most of my tomatoes are
unusable due to a black spot
on the bottom.

That is called Blossom End Rot. It is caused by either not enough calcium
available to the plant, or too much water. If there is too much water, the
plant may not be able to take up enough calcium for the developing fruit,
so it ends up being the same thing. An organic remedy for it is to add
ground limestone to the soil. The tomatoes are usually still edible, just
cut the brown part off.

Sean

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **