Old 30-07-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson[_3_] Sally Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Growing things up galvanised fencing

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:36:18 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote
(in article ):

In article et,
Sally Thompson writes:

[re growing things up galvanised fencing]

I don't know what I'm going to grow there yet, but since I have a surplus
of
Bill McKenzie clematis plants, that might well be a good contender.

Nowt to do with the plants. That's what happens to galvanised iron wire
and, the cheaper and thinner it is, the faster it goes. I have grown
climbers up ordinary 1.5 mm wire for decades, and it is still fine.

Thanks. This is reasonably robust so I'll go for it.

Bill McKenzie would be good, but there are LOTS of others. Are you
anywhere near Cambridge, and would you be prepared to swap a Bill
McKenzie for (say) an Akebia quinata?

Er, no, Shropshire isn't terribly near Cambridge:-) However, I can send you
some seeds if you like. Send me your snail mail address and I'll send them
off in a few weeks. They were very easy to germinate and most of South
Shropshire now has Bill McKenzieg. My reply-to address is valid although I
don't check it very often (remove the invalid if necessary). If you don't
hear back, give me a nudge.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening