Old 30-07-2008, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing things up galvanised fencing

We have a galvanised weldmesh run for our chickens and I would like to grow
some climbers up it to provide some extra shade (yes, protected from curious
beaks!). However, Tony remembers growing something up a galvanised fence in
the past and it removed all the galvanised surface and the fence rusted. Has
anyone else had any experience of how well the surface will resist planting?
I don't know what I'm going to grow there yet, but since I have a surplus of
Bill McKenzie clematis plants, that might well be a good contender.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 30-07-2008, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et,
Sally Thompson writes:

| We have a galvanised weldmesh run for our chickens and I would like to grow
| some climbers up it to provide some extra shade (yes, protected from curious
| beaks!). However, Tony remembers growing something up a galvanised fence in
| the past and it removed all the galvanised surface and the fence rusted. Has
| anyone else had any experience of how well the surface will resist planting?
| I don't know what I'm going to grow there yet, but since I have a surplus of
| Bill McKenzie clematis plants, that might well be a good contender.

Nowt to do with the plants. That's what happens to galvanised iron wire
and, the cheaper and thinner it is, the faster it goes. I have grown
climbers up ordinary 1.5 mm wire for decades, and it is still fine.

Bill McKenzie would be good, but there are LOTS of others. Are you
anywhere near Cambridge, and would you be prepared to swap a Bill
McKenzie for (say) an Akebia quinata?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Bill McKenzie would be good, but there are LOTS of others. Are you
anywhere near Cambridge, and would you be prepared to swap a Bill
McKenzie for (say) an Akebia quinata?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bill McKenzie is a brilliant plant, very robust and so easy to look after, I
love it :-)
kate

Old 30-07-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:36:18 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote
(in article ):

In article et,
Sally Thompson writes:

[re growing things up galvanised fencing]

I don't know what I'm going to grow there yet, but since I have a surplus
of
Bill McKenzie clematis plants, that might well be a good contender.

Nowt to do with the plants. That's what happens to galvanised iron wire
and, the cheaper and thinner it is, the faster it goes. I have grown
climbers up ordinary 1.5 mm wire for decades, and it is still fine.

Thanks. This is reasonably robust so I'll go for it.

Bill McKenzie would be good, but there are LOTS of others. Are you
anywhere near Cambridge, and would you be prepared to swap a Bill
McKenzie for (say) an Akebia quinata?

Er, no, Shropshire isn't terribly near Cambridge:-) However, I can send you
some seeds if you like. Send me your snail mail address and I'll send them
off in a few weeks. They were very easy to germinate and most of South
Shropshire now has Bill McKenzieg. My reply-to address is valid although I
don't check it very often (remove the invalid if necessary). If you don't
hear back, give me a nudge.

Old 30-07-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:46:02 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote
(in article ) :

snip
Bill McKenzie would be good, but there are LOTS of others. Are you
anywhere near Cambridge, and would you be prepared to swap a Bill
McKenzie for (say) an Akebia quinata?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bill McKenzie is a brilliant plant, very robust and so easy to look after, I
love it :-)
kate

Me too - I have to resist the impulse to have it absolutely everywhere. We
usually get two flowerings in a season, too, and even the seed heads are so
pretty.