Old 31-07-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default algae

my veggie filter is my biofilter. I DO have a bucket that contains my pump and over
that is some filter material to mainly keep the pump from getting fouled with stuff.
but it also works in winter as a biofilter (I guess). I clean the bucket out in
spring and fall. I clean the veggie filter out in fall only. most just use a shop
vac to suction out the mulm (which goes right on to my flower beds!)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:52:48 -0700, Chip wrote:
The above mentions that his veggie filter comes after his mechanical
filter and his BIO filter. I thought the veggie filter is a bio filter.

If I have this straight, it goes like this-

pond mech bio veggie bottom overflows veggie top back to pond
via falls

What is the bio filtering, how is it doing it, and why is it needed with
a veggie filter?

Chip