Old 31-07-2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] madgardener1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Sick cherry tree

On Jul 31, 6:05*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Zootal wrote:
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree will
go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...ree/images/DSC...
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...ree/images/DSC...

Borer?

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscap...?cat=18&id=926

would that be Asian Long nose beetle damage? I hear they're evil and
tenacious. not sure if they're down here in Tennessee yet, I hope not.
apparently their appetite is huge for everything.........sugar maples,
tulip poplars, anything they can bore into and down deep for their
eggs to live, hatch, eat outwards causing death in the tree in two
years.......wow...anyone with a clue to this? I've seen it in other
trees, and had it on my old black cherry tree. it never died from it,
though although it was huge and over 75 years old. just the part the
flaking was on.
maddie