Old 31-07-2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sick cherry tree

Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree will
go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

Old 31-07-2008, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree will
go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

Borer?

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscap...?cat=18&id=926
Old 31-07-2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...ree/images/DSC...
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...ree/images/DSC...

Borer?

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscap...?cat=18&id=926

would that be Asian Long nose beetle damage? I hear they're evil and
tenacious. not sure if they're down here in Tennessee yet, I hope not.
apparently their appetite is huge for everything.........sugar maples,
tulip poplars, anything they can bore into and down deep for their
eggs to live, hatch, eat outwards causing death in the tree in two
years.......wow...anyone with a clue to this? I've seen it in other
trees, and had it on my old black cherry tree. it never died from it,
though although it was huge and over 75 years old. just the part the
flaking was on.
maddie
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
Zootal wrote:
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree
will go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

Borer?

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscap...?cat=18&id=926

Not sure. This goes all the way up the trunk. I just took a close look, and
did not see any sign of sap leakage. Where the bark peels, the wood
underneath it is dead. I can peel off dead chunks of wood that go as much as
a quarter inch into the tree. I just looked at my other cherry tree, and it
is starting to do this also.

I've looked at several cherry/fruit tree sites, but have not yet found
anything that describes what I'm seeing.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree will
go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

You have a tree that has had its trunk wounded. Something wounded the
trunk. I would start here looking for causes of decline in your fruit tree.
Also MODERN ARBORICULTURE would be a good book to guide you through tree
planting and beyond. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html
Worth the effort.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree
will go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

You have a tree that has had its trunk wounded. Something wounded the
trunk. I would start here looking for causes of decline in your fruit
tree. Also MODERN ARBORICULTURE would be a good book to guide you through
tree planting and beyond.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html
Worth the effort.

What would have wounded the trunk? The damage is all up and down the main
trunk, and on some secondary branches. This is not a single wound, nor has
anything that I'm aware of happened to damage the trunk like this. If it is
mechanical damage, it has to have been caused by birds or insects, and I've
not seen any sigh of either.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:00:40 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

What would have wounded the trunk? The damage is all up and down the main
trunk, and on some secondary branches. This is not a single wound, nor has
anything that I'm aware of happened to damage the trunk like this. If it
is
mechanical damage, it has to have been caused by birds or insects, and
I've
not seen any sigh of either.

By no means am I a fruit tree expert, but it sure does resemble a
problem I'm having with my peach tree. My peach has gummosis for
sure. There are splits in the bark which look like the one you have
and seems to me it looks like canker of some sort. I am going to
remove the tree altogether and plant another one at the back of the
property so when the fruit falls, the critters living in the brush
piles can eat the fruit and not come close to the house where our
current peach tree is. I have no idea what is wrong with your tree,
but it doesn't look like mechanical damage.

My apricots died of this. The rest of my trees (plums, peach, pear, apple)
seem to be doing fine, but I'm going to go and take a much closer look at
them.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree will
go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

If it is a borer, look for hemispherical holes in the trunk. It could
be something below the soil line causing the problem higher up, again
possibly borers. You may see some sawdust residue outside of the
holes, also indicating the presence of borers.

Sherwin
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

If you decide to cut the tree down at some point you could mail me the
section with the wound. I will date the wound and try to identify the
cause. I would give you specific instructions when I give you my address.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Take the time to review this book to avoid common problems with pruns
species.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html they do not tolerate
improper pruning. A major cause of problems for these trees!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

I would be more then happy to. The main trunk is about 4 feet tall, and the
entire length is peeling, with some areas showing more damage then others.
I'm going to give it another year before I give up on it.

I have two apricots that appeared to suffer the same symptoms - peeling
bark, damaged/rotting wood under the peeling. They died last spring, about
3-4 months ago. If you want sections of them, I'd be happy to cut them down,
and send you whatever pieces you want.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
If you decide to cut the tree down at some point you could mail me the
section with the wound. I will date the wound and try to identify the
cause. I would give you specific instructions when I give you my address.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.