Old 31-07-2008, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
len gardener len gardener is offline

Default Eucalyptus tree. Advice wanted please.

g'day paul,

eucalypts can be affected by a few things in nature, over here they
can suffer a die back disease, which is pretty much terminal for the
tree, or they can shed leaves in extra dry periods or if available
moisture falls enough, it is s survival mechanism.

you might gain more knowledge over time or if you have arborist's over
there who realy know their eucalypt(gum) trees they may provide an
answer, but i think it sounds early days yet.

what is a bit concerning to me is? are these trees growing in a normal
suburban garden? these forest trees are not suburban garden or street
friendly/safe trees.

there needs to be a safety margin of at least 50% more than the mature
height of the tree from any and all structures (especially homes) and
over head utilities. these trees though healthy by all appearances can
drop major branches and fall for no apparant reason. they are
responsible for many fatalaties over here and much damage to homes and
overhead utilities. for me 50% isn't enough 100% is getting close.

at a guess i would suggest your trees are only 1/2 grown.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:57:31 +0100, Paul Woodsford
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev