Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Sick cherry tree

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
Zootal wrote:
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree
will go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

Borer?

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscap...?cat=18&id=926

Not sure. This goes all the way up the trunk. I just took a close look, and
did not see any sign of sap leakage. Where the bark peels, the wood
underneath it is dead. I can peel off dead chunks of wood that go as much as
a quarter inch into the tree. I just looked at my other cherry tree, and it
is starting to do this also.

I've looked at several cherry/fruit tree sites, but have not yet found
anything that describes what I'm seeing.