Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Sick cherry tree

"symplastless" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling
bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is
doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no
disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree
will go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF3115.JPG

You have a tree that has had its trunk wounded. Something wounded the
trunk. I would start here looking for causes of decline in your fruit
tree. Also MODERN ARBORICULTURE would be a good book to guide you through
tree planting and beyond.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html
Worth the effort.

What would have wounded the trunk? The damage is all up and down the main
trunk, and on some secondary branches. This is not a single wound, nor has
anything that I'm aware of happened to damage the trunk like this. If it is
mechanical damage, it has to have been caused by birds or insects, and I've
not seen any sigh of either.