Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Sick cherry tree

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:00:40 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

What would have wounded the trunk? The damage is all up and down the main
trunk, and on some secondary branches. This is not a single wound, nor has
anything that I'm aware of happened to damage the trunk like this. If it
is
mechanical damage, it has to have been caused by birds or insects, and
I've
not seen any sigh of either.

By no means am I a fruit tree expert, but it sure does resemble a
problem I'm having with my peach tree. My peach has gummosis for
sure. There are splits in the bark which look like the one you have
and seems to me it looks like canker of some sort. I am going to
remove the tree altogether and plant another one at the back of the
property so when the fruit falls, the critters living in the brush
piles can eat the fruit and not come close to the house where our
current peach tree is. I have no idea what is wrong with your tree,
but it doesn't look like mechanical damage.

My apricots died of this. The rest of my trees (plums, peach, pear, apple)
seem to be doing fine, but I'm going to go and take a much closer look at
them.