Old 08-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Fun Reading (was: How to lose customers - vent)

The message
from (Cat) contains these words:

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
No I haven't read it, but will look out for it, thanks; I'm a
volunteer worker at a National Trust garden (Brodick Castle).

Neat! What sort of things do you do there?

This week I spent a morning clearing zillions of griselinia littoralis
seedlings out of woodland (one of those unfortunate introductions which
threatens to take over) and another morning weeding a bed of exotic
plants in the sunny sheltered walled garden. Last week I spent my time
spreading spent hops as mulch in an area I'd previously weeded, and
barrowing compost from the heaps to new beds. Winter work included path
maintenance, bramble clearance, shifting and burning debris after the
clearance of dead or fallen trees, and helping with the clearance and
construction of a new garden area for scented rhododendrons. Oh, and we
planted out 7,000 pansy seedlings in a formal area.

On a related note, what books/authours have folks enjoyed reading? I'm
thinking both of practical and inspirational books.

Anything by Beth Chatto and Mirabel Osler (living UK authors); I like
their balance of practical ideas and inspiration/philosophy. From
earlier last century... Margery Fish, Theo Stephens, Vita Sackville
West, Marion Cran.

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).