Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Cat

Default Fun Reading (was: How to lose customers - vent)

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
No I haven't read it, but will look out for it, thanks; I'm a
volunteer worker at a National Trust garden (Brodick Castle).

Neat! What sort of things do you do there?

On a related note, what books/authours have folks enjoyed reading? I'm
thinking both of practical and inspirational books.

Marjorie Harris is an ongoing favourite of mine - her books tend to be
both practical and inspirational, and she's certainly very good in her
region (Southern Ontario, Canada).

I'm now starting to read 'my favorite plant' which is a collection of
vignettes by different authours on their favourite plants.

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."
Old 08-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from (Cat) contains these words:

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
No I haven't read it, but will look out for it, thanks; I'm a
volunteer worker at a National Trust garden (Brodick Castle).

Neat! What sort of things do you do there?

This week I spent a morning clearing zillions of griselinia littoralis
seedlings out of woodland (one of those unfortunate introductions which
threatens to take over) and another morning weeding a bed of exotic
plants in the sunny sheltered walled garden. Last week I spent my time
spreading spent hops as mulch in an area I'd previously weeded, and
barrowing compost from the heaps to new beds. Winter work included path
maintenance, bramble clearance, shifting and burning debris after the
clearance of dead or fallen trees, and helping with the clearance and
construction of a new garden area for scented rhododendrons. Oh, and we
planted out 7,000 pansy seedlings in a formal area.

On a related note, what books/authours have folks enjoyed reading? I'm
thinking both of practical and inspirational books.

Anything by Beth Chatto and Mirabel Osler (living UK authors); I like
their balance of practical ideas and inspiration/philosophy. From
earlier last century... Margery Fish, Theo Stephens, Vita Sackville
West, Marion Cran.

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).
Old 09-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Cat

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
This week I spent a morning clearing zillions of griselinia littoralis
seedlings out of woodland (one of those unfortunate introductions which
threatens to take over) and another morning weeding a bed of exotic
plants in the sunny sheltered walled garden. Last week I spent my time
spreading spent hops as mulch in an area I'd previously weeded, and
barrowing compost from the heaps to new beds. Winter work included path
maintenance, bramble clearance, shifting and burning debris after the
clearance of dead or fallen trees, and helping with the clearance and
construction of a new garden area for scented rhododendrons. Oh, and we
planted out 7,000 pansy seedlings in a formal area.

Yow! That's an impressive amount of work! Do you have special tools or
techniques that make it go faster, or do you have a crazy amount of
energy?

I've just picked up a bunch of old irrigation gear that I'm in the midst
of fitting into the garden (beats the bits out of watering the weeds and
the plants with a sprinkler, since the garden's still being built) - and
there are hoses _everywhere_, not to mention earning a regular shower!

Then there's the challenge of trying to get the sifted compost from
where I'm sifting to be beds being built. I'm beginning to dream of
having the broom from the sorceror's apprentice...

Anything by Beth Chatto and Mirabel Osler (living UK authors); I like
their balance of practical ideas and inspiration/philosophy. From
earlier last century... Margery Fish, Theo Stephens, Vita Sackville
West, Marion Cran.

Oooh! New names to go and track down! Thank you ;

Old 09-04-2003, 07:20 AM
jammer

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:57:55 GMT, (Cat)
wrote:

the sunny sheltered walled garden.

Do you have a picture of that? If not, what do you grow in it?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Janet Baraclough wrote:
This week I spent a morning clearing zillions of griselinia littoralis
seedlings out of woodland (one of those unfortunate introductions which
threatens to take over) and another morning weeding a bed of exotic
plants in the sunny sheltered walled garden. Last week I spent my time
spreading spent hops as mulch in an area I'd previously weeded, and
barrowing compost from the heaps to new beds. Winter work included path
maintenance, bramble clearance, shifting and burning debris after the
clearance of dead or fallen trees, and helping with the clearance and
construction of a new garden area for scented rhododendrons. Oh, and we
planted out 7,000 pansy seedlings in a formal area.

Yow! That's an impressive amount of work! Do you have special tools or
techniques that make it go faster, or do you have a crazy amount of
energy?

There are usually other people working there too, so together we can
shift an impressive amount of work in a few hours; though energy levels
vary considerably so each volunteer just works at their own speed and
within their own capabilities. Everything is done by hand, with hand
tools (which are supplied), and those who aren't experienced are shown
what to do.

Janet.

avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from jammer contains these words:

wrote:

the sunny sheltered walled garden.

Do you have a picture of that? If not, what do you grow in it?

I haven't any of my own, but I found these on the web, taken by Martin
Junius. Scroll down to see parts of the walled garden.

http://www.m-j-s.net/photo/scot1997/...-20070100.html

The walled garden at Brodick Castle was built in 1710. Part of it is
planted to represent Victorian formal gardening much later, with rose
arbours and patterned areas of annuals. But because it's such a warm
microclimate (due to aspect, shelter and the Gulf stream),especially
against the wall at the top end, successive gardeners have added all
sorts of exotic subtropical shrubs and climbers from the Antipodes,Chile
and South Africa like giant echiums, metrosideros and watsonia. Arran is
roughly at 56 degrees north.

The larger garden (about 80 acres) is mostly woodland, famous for its
rhododendrons and camellias.

Janet.

Janet. (Isle of Arran, Scotland).
Old 14-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Ann

Janet Baraclough expounded:

Vita Sackville West

One of my favorite all time books, not garden related, is All Passions
Spent by Vita. Enthralling.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA