Old 08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Vine pruning - when?

In article ,
"David W.E. Roberts" writes:

| we may be at cross purposes.

Very likely :-)

| You originally posted "and it will assuredly produce a lot of shoots that
| will go in directions I don't want. I can see the buds opening ...." so I
| assumed you wanted to control new growth from current buds, not to remove
| previous years growth.
|
| Just to be clear, again AFAIK, anything growing this year from a bud (green
| wood) can be zapped whilst small without harming the plant, and the earlier
| you zap it (rubbing out buds, pinching out shoots) the less effort the plant
| puts into it.

The trouble is that you can't tell leaf buds (which I want) from
shoot ones (which I don't) at this stage.

| Anything that grew in a previous year (brown wood) will bleed and is best
| pruned over winter, preferably after a few hard frosts.
|
| AFAIK the sap run STOPS around December. :-)

I will try to be cautious.

| She also warns against waiting too long to nip out laterals, as again there
| can be significant bleeding if the shoot is well grown.

This seems a bit odd for a palatable, unarmoured plant that has
developed in areas with browsing animals - and most species of
Vitis did! But plants are sometimes odd.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.