Old 03-08-2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Getting Rid of Bermuda Grass

I once put concrete barriers in my graden - 1" x 12" x 6" slabs, designed to
stop the bermuda. Much to my surprise (it was my first encounter with
bermuda), the grass went over and under my barriers and quickly assimilated
my garden.

I've always thought bermuda made a nice lawn. It's fairly pretty, it's very
durable, and any damage quickly grows back. It's much easier to maintain
then fescue or rye.

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
Have to go with you on this one.
Bermuda grass has 3 growing methods.
Seed. It sprouts and spreads.
Surface laterals. Grow laterally, roots, and continues ad infinitum.
Rootage. The roots, if isolated by pulling the surface grass, will do 2
things. The grass will come back up, AND, spread laterally beneath the
surface to surface somewhere else.
I've also seen Bermuda grass find small drain holes on a growing pot.
The pot is isolated on a large flat rock above the ground. The seekers
went throught the drain holes, up through a foot of soil in the pot, to
sprout on the surface of the soil in the pot.

Not only is it the Borg of grasses, it is also the Terminator as it never,
ever stops.

--
Dave