Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Garden Health Issues good ones and things to avoid

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
, Bill
wrote:

Bending, twisting, pushing and pulling all exercises. I donıt know
about you but when I am about in the garden an I identify a task I do it
without any warm-ups aside from a cup of coffee.
These days I just sort of break up large tasks and switch off to
others or just sit and look about for a hummer till I got to move. Iıve
been known to do this over several days due to dew point or just other
tasks that afford quicker gratification.
In another post the mention of Melanoma came it. I believe that this
long term aka childhood exposure to sun is of import. Iıve got a
grapefruit size scar on my back which caused me to look into the sun
issue. I take 4000 IU of vitamin D BTW.

Bill

Another garden health issue is tetanus, which lives in most garden soils.
As we get older'n'older we become increasingly susceptible to tetanus.
One-third of tetanus cases are from gardening injuries. Stay updated with
tetanus shots (stay updated with ten-year boosters); try to wear gloves
for most gardening duties; and habitually clean injuries with
antibacterial soap.

-paghat the ratgirl

Thanks for the reminder, It has been almost ten years since my last
tetanus shot.

Several years ago. a little girl about 8 years old died from it. She
lived one mile down the road from me. Fell on her bike, dirt road. Kids
get scraped and cut all the time. When does one know when to go to the
hospital?

Must be an unusual case. The township sprays chlorine on the roads every
year to prevent such things. I think that is why they spray the roads.

habitually clean injuries with antibacterial soap.

I would like to use it. However, I was told not to use that stuff. I
have a septic field and the use of antibacterial soaps and toilet
cleaners will kill off the bacteria in the septic tanks that breaks down
the waste. I do use "hand sanitizers". However, I do not think they are
better than the antibacterial cleansers. A complex world we live.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

We used to call it lockjaw. Stepping on rusty nails was considered not
only painful but life threatening. Sill I garden with bare hands and
endure minor issues.

Found this while looking for lockjaw.

Last line seems what we do E.G. clean wounds.

³The disease can be prevented by immunization with tetanal toxoid and
appropriate wound care.³

Bill

Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2008 Jun;6(3):327-36.
Links

Current concepts in the management of Clostridium tetani infection.
Brook I.
Georgetown University School of Medicine, 4431 Albemarle Street NW,
Washington, DC 20016, USA.

This review summarizes the microbiology, management and prevention of
tetanus. Tetanus is an acute toxemic illness caused by Clostridium
tetani infection at a laceration or break in the skin. It can also occur
as a complication of burns, puerperal infections, umbilical stumps
(tetanus neonatorum) and surgical-site infection. Tetanus is an
intoxication, manifested mostly by neuromuscular dysfunction, caused by
tetanal exotoxin (tetanospasmin), a potent exotoxin produced by C.
tetani. It starts with tonic spasms of the skeletal muscles and is
followed by paroxysmal contractions. The muscle stiffness initially
involves the jaw (lockjaw) and neck and later becomes generalized.
Treatment goals include interrupting the production of toxin,
neutralizating the unbound toxin, controlling muscle spasms, managing
dysautonomia and appropriate supportive management. Specific therapy
includes intramuscular administration of tetanus immunoglobulin to
neutralize circulating toxin before it binds to neuronal cell membranes.
The disease can be prevented by immunization with tetanal toxoid and
appropriate wound care.
PMID: 18588497 [PubMed - in process

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA