Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Watermelon advice needed

In my garden, I have about a dozen watermelon plants. The plants got off to
a late start due to insects and cold weather, so I made a last minute
planting towards the end of June. The cold weather continued, and the plants
are still quite small, have maybe a half dozen leaves. What are the chances
that they will mature and set fruit? Around here (middle of the Wilamette
Valley, Oregon), the weather cools off about the middle of September,
sometimes as early as the end of August. Summer has barely started, and it's
almost over :-). Should I plow them under and use the space for winter
crops? Or is there a chance that I'll get some melons out of them?