Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Watermelon advice needed

In my garden, I have about a dozen watermelon plants. The plants got off to
a late start due to insects and cold weather, so I made a last minute
planting towards the end of June. The cold weather continued, and the plants
are still quite small, have maybe a half dozen leaves. What are the chances
that they will mature and set fruit? Around here (middle of the Wilamette
Valley, Oregon), the weather cools off about the middle of September,
sometimes as early as the end of August. Summer has barely started, and it's
almost over :-). Should I plow them under and use the space for winter
crops? Or is there a chance that I'll get some melons out of them?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
In my garden, I have about a dozen watermelon plants. The plants got off
to a late start due to insects and cold weather, so I made a last minute
planting towards the end of June. The cold weather continued, and the
plants are still quite small, have maybe a half dozen leaves. What are the
chances that they will mature and set fruit? Around here (middle of the
Wilamette Valley, Oregon), the weather cools off about the middle of
September, sometimes as early as the end of August. Summer has barely
started, and it's almost over :-). Should I plow them under and use the
space for winter crops? Or is there a chance that I'll get some melons out
of them?

I sometimes (depending on the plant and my desire to harvest its produce)
extend the growing season by putting 4 bales of hay/straw round the plant
and covering it with an old window.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

I sometimes (depending on the plant and my desire to harvest its produce)
extend the growing season by putting 4 bales of hay/straw round the plant
and covering it with an old window.

Not a bad idea...but a bit impractical for watermelons. Hmm...maybe a
large piece of plexiglass would work...

[IMG] code is On

Seedless Watermelon pollination H Hornblower Edible Gardening 6 20-08-2004 03:45 PM
watermelon help needed Nicole H Edible Gardening 1 06-08-2003 05:02 PM
Germinating watermelon Seed Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 13-07-2003 03:44 PM
watermelon? H United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:20 PM
Watermelon Question CORRWOOD Edible Gardening 2 14-05-2003 02:44 AM