Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Garden Health Issues good ones and things to avoid

Dan L. said:

The township sprays chlorine on the roads every
year to prevent such things. I think that is why they spray the roads.

It's got nothing to do with making the road safer in the event of 'road rash.'

They probably use calcium chloride to stabilize the road surface and cut
down on dust. That's what my township did to my road (before it was
paved). But the main motivation might be that it allows them to justify less
frequent road gradings. And maybe skip out on the rolling and surface
replenishment.

The calcium chloride sucks water out of the air to keep the road surface
moist. (It's the active ingredient in Damp Rid.)

After enlightenment, the laundry.