Old 08-04-2003, 02:20 PM

Default raspberry canes

no, I didn't cut them down at all- I thought that because they are
Autumn variety I didn't need to. I have noticed a few new shoots
coming out the ground, but no sign of life on the established canes-
are the existing canes not going to fruit then?
Because I have cocoa shell mulch, it is not easy to see how dry the
soil is- so I have probably been watering if in doubt. Is it better to
over-water than under-water?

Victoria Clare wrote in message 8.222...
(R) wrote in news:6e0be8aa.0304072335.551c25c4
@posting.google.com:

Hi

I planted 5 raspberry canes in Feb (Autumn Bliss variety), following
all instructions on spacing and made sure soil had plenty of compost
mixed in, as well as adding fertiliser and mulched the soil to help
keep moist. I have been watering regularly, but the canes still show
no signs of life at all- no leaves or buds. Is this usual for an
autumn variety or are they dead/dormant?

Well half of mine are still at exactly the same stage, and mine were
planted in January. The other half are just starting into leaf now: I think
those that aren't get very slightly less sun because of the position of a
large holly tree that cuts out the light over them around midday.

I wouldn't worry yet.

Victoria