Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default Polliwogs help please

In article , kayla
afwt_hotmail.com@ wrote:

I was going to change the water in the dog kennel when I noticed
movement in the water. Polliwogs were swimming around so now I'm
wondering what to do with them. Should I put the contents of the dish
in a shallow container since the dish is deep, leave them alone or
what?

Lori

Put a big water bowl (two or three feet across, six inches to a foot deep
-- like a crockery "forest bowl") somewhere in the garden where you'd like
some frogs, and let them finish their life cycle in the garden. Most of
the frogs will just leave immediately after ceasing to be tadpoles --
depending on species they can head off for MILES -- but a few are apt to
stay if there's good pickins for bug-eatin. The tads are vegetarian and
like algae best; a vegetarian tropical fish food or just a tiny bit of
well-cooked spinach can be fed to them if there's not enough algae in the
bowl.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website: