Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Polliwogs help please

I was going to change the water in the dog kennel when I noticed
movement in the water. Polliwogs were swimming around so now I'm
wondering what to do with them. Should I put the contents of the dish
in a shallow container since the dish is deep, leave them alone or
what?

Lori
Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:42:19 -0400, kayla afwt_hotmail.com@ wrote:

I was going to change the water in the dog kennel when I noticed
movement in the water. Polliwogs were swimming around so now I'm
wondering what to do with them. Should I put the contents of the dish
in a shallow container since the dish is deep, leave them alone or
what?

Lori

Change the water more often.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , kayla
afwt_hotmail.com@ wrote:

I was going to change the water in the dog kennel when I noticed
movement in the water. Polliwogs were swimming around so now I'm
wondering what to do with them. Should I put the contents of the dish
in a shallow container since the dish is deep, leave them alone or
what?

Lori

Put a big water bowl (two or three feet across, six inches to a foot deep
-- like a crockery "forest bowl") somewhere in the garden where you'd like
some frogs, and let them finish their life cycle in the garden. Most of
the frogs will just leave immediately after ceasing to be tadpoles --
depending on species they can head off for MILES -- but a few are apt to
stay if there's good pickins for bug-eatin. The tads are vegetarian and
like algae best; a vegetarian tropical fish food or just a tiny bit of
well-cooked spinach can be fed to them if there's not enough algae in the
bowl.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/5/2008 6:42 AM, kayla wrote:
I was going to change the water in the dog kennel when I noticed
movement in the water. Polliwogs were swimming around so now I'm
wondering what to do with them. Should I put the contents of the dish
in a shallow container since the dish is deep, leave them alone or
what?

Lori

Are you sure they are polywogs and not moquito larvae?

Questions about reptiles and amphibians are better directed to
rec.pets.herp. You are more likely to get expert advice there.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 06-08-2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Change the water more often.

I was thinking I might get this answer. Actually my dog hasn't been
in the kennel for ages and when she uses it I change the water daily.
Glad you brought that up.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Are you sure they are polywogs and not moquito larvae?

I took another good look at them through a magnifying glass and I
think you are right. It's only a small dish so I'm going to wait and
see. I was really excited thinking I was going to have a litter of
baby frogs.

Lori
Old 06-08-2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

kayla afwt_hotmail.com@ wrote in
:

Are you sure they are polywogs and not moquito larvae?

I took another good look at them through a magnifying glass
and I think you are right. It's only a small dish so I'm
going to wait and see. I was really excited thinking I was
going to have a litter of baby frogs.

if you have to look at them with a magnifying glass, they're
mosquito larvae. just dump the water. we don't need more
mosquitoes.

lee waiting for turtle eggs to hatch
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 06-08-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

if you have to look at them with a magnifying glass, they're
mosquito larvae. just dump the water. we don't need more
mosquitoes.

Okay. The water is dumped. You are right about not needing any more
mosquitoes. Thanks for your replies and I'll just get back to
gardening.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/5/08 8:55 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

kayla afwt_hotmail.com@ wrote in
:

Are you sure they are polywogs and not moquito larvae?

I took another good look at them through a magnifying glass
and I think you are right. It's only a small dish so I'm
going to wait and see. I was really excited thinking I was
going to have a litter of baby frogs.

if you have to look at them with a magnifying glass, they're
mosquito larvae. just dump the water. we don't need more
mosquitoes.

lee waiting for turtle eggs to hatch

Hey girl, I was
A: wondering how you are doing
And
B: wondering if there was a nest again near me from the local snapping
turtle

Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Hey girl, I was
A: wondering how you are doing

doing good... not as good as the weeds though. i've taken to
using the high wheel string trimmer in the garden
the peas are fnally producing & i have a couple cucumbers.
the grape tomato in a pot is doing well, but the rest are
barely starting to bloom. the melons & pumpkins are tiny &
sulking.
i'm doomed to grow only pink morning glories, as well. even
the ones from the blue piotee packet are frigging *pink*. i
HATE pink!

And
B: wondering if there was a nest again near me from the
local snapping turtle

that's what my turtle eggs are. i think it was that females
first clutch. there are 11 eggs.
Gamera will be 4 next week. we're thinking it might be time
to release him.
lee
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/6/08 10:37 AM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Hey girl, I was
A: wondering how you are doing

doing good... not as good as the weeds though. i've taken to
using the high wheel string trimmer in the garden

Your point???
the peas are fnally producing & i have a couple cucumbers.
the grape tomato in a pot is doing well, but the rest are
barely starting to bloom. the melons & pumpkins are tiny &
sulking.

I've harvested a dozen or so cukes from 4 plants so far. And maybe 10 cherry
tomatoes.
i'm doomed to grow only pink morning glories, as well. even
the ones from the blue piotee packet are frigging *pink*. i
HATE pink!

Grandpa Ott has done well for me and looks very blue.

And
B: wondering if there was a nest again near me from the
local snapping turtle

that's what my turtle eggs are. i think it was that females
first clutch. there are 11 eggs.
Gamera will be 4 next week. we're thinking it might be time
to release him.
lee

Could be....

Cheryl