Old 06-08-2008, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Tomatoes and Uneven Ripening

1 - if you cut one of the uneven ripened tomatoes in half, what is it like
inside? Uneven fertilizing can cause this, specifically potassium
deficiency. Mosaic can also cause it. I think that heirloom varieties are
more likely to do this also.

2 - Tomatoes usually start blooming when they are 12 inches tall. How tall
are yours?

Around here it's upper 70s or lower 80s during the day, and upper 50s or
lower 60s at night. My tomatoes are exploding out of the ground, there are
more green tomatoes then I've ever seen. We had an unusually cool and long
and wet spring, and summer is unusually cool, and my tomatoes and squash are
growing like crazy.

"Ed" wrote in message
news
We have about 30 tomato plants. A mix of mostly heritage with some Ultra
Girl II hybrids. We've been raising tomatoes for 20 years but this year we
have 2 problems.

1 - All of the heritage tomatoes are ripening VERY unevenly. To the point
that one half will be over ripe and the other half still green. The Ultra
Girl II is not having this problem

2 - We usually have tomatoes well into September or early October, but
right now we have very few blossoms coming on? Both heritage and hybrids
are doing this.

The tomatoes are growing in 2 different gardens and we have 12 plants in
Earth Boxes. They're all doing the same thing. We have had a very odd
Summer here in Kentucky with upper 80s during the day and low 60s a lot of
nights. MUCH cooler nights than normal.

Any thoughts?

--
Captain Ed