Old 06-08-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

Default Tomatoes and Uneven Ripening

We have about 30 tomato plants. A mix of mostly heritage with some Ultra
Girl II hybrids. We've been raising tomatoes for 20 years but this year we
have 2 problems.

1 - All of the heritage tomatoes are ripening VERY unevenly. To the point
that one half will be over ripe and the other half still green. The Ultra
Girl II is not having this problem

2 - We usually have tomatoes well into September or early October, but right
now we have very few blossoms coming on? Both heritage and hybrids are doing
this.

The tomatoes are growing in 2 different gardens and we have 12 plants in
Earth Boxes. They're all doing the same thing. We have had a very odd Summer
here in Kentucky with upper 80s during the day and low 60s a lot of nights.
MUCH cooler nights than normal.

Any thoughts?

--
Captain Ed

Old 06-08-2008, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

1 - if you cut one of the uneven ripened tomatoes in half, what is it like
inside? Uneven fertilizing can cause this, specifically potassium
deficiency. Mosaic can also cause it. I think that heirloom varieties are
more likely to do this also.

2 - Tomatoes usually start blooming when they are 12 inches tall. How tall
are yours?

Around here it's upper 70s or lower 80s during the day, and upper 50s or
lower 60s at night. My tomatoes are exploding out of the ground, there are
more green tomatoes then I've ever seen. We had an unusually cool and long
and wet spring, and summer is unusually cool, and my tomatoes and squash are
growing like crazy.

news

Old 11-08-2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 5, 7:27 pm, "Ed" wrote:
[...]

Irregular watering can lead to uneven ripening. Especially in dry
growing seasons, rare, occasional rain can cause problems. If your
plants rely on irrigation, then drying and watering can contribute to
uneven ripening. Here's the trick I've been using for years:

The day you see pink on a tomato, pick the tomato. Pick every tomato
when it first shows some pink. Let these tomatoes ripen indoors. I
have a very large stainless steel bowl into which I put all my barely
pink tomatoes. I leave it on my dining room table, and I check the
tomatoes daily. Typically, it's three days-to-a-week for the pink
ones to turn fully ripe. Managed this way, my tomatoes ripen
perfectly evenly from bottom-to top, and they never develop cracks or
skin stress marks that are common when a half-ripe tomato gets extra
water. When I first read about doing this (in our local newspaper), I
didn't want to try it--I though vine-ripened would be the best
tomatoes. Once I tried it, I've never gone back. If you want perfect
tomatoes, don't let them ripen on the plants.

[IMG] code is On

New grass seed - thin, and ground getting uneven! Airkings Gardening 1 11-06-2005 12:40 AM
Uneven grass Steve Lawns 8 20-09-2004 12:15 AM
Uneven grass height after mowing with my new Toro Recycler??-Suggestions Please?? m olofson Lawns 8 02-10-2003 05:05 AM
Where do I start with poor quality uneven lawn ? Paul Thomas United Kingdom 1 12-09-2003 06:03 PM
Uneven grass height after mowing with my new Toro Recycler??-Suggestions Jim Gilliland Lawns 0 24-08-2003 07:22 PM